SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
the_yard_guy

Protecting trees from deer in fall/winter

the_yard_guy
9 years ago

Hello All. I could use some advice regarding protecting small trees from deer browsing and rubbing during the upcoming fall and winter.

I have a row of windbreak trees, mostly species versions of white spruce (Picea glauca) and Easter white pine (Pinus strobus), planted about 200 yards from our house. Many of the trees in the windbreak are very small, between 1 and 5ft tall. They are mulched and being watered on a regular basis. They look very healthy.

We have a high deer population in this area and during fall/winter the trees are either heavily browsed by deer, resulting in broken or missing leaders and lateral branches, or rubbed by bucks, resulting in heavy damage to the trees, often resulting in the trunks being snapped in half. Because of this damage I've replaced many of these trees several years in a row.

From what I've heard the only way to totally prevent damage to trees and shrubs by deer are to either build an 8ft tall wire fence around everything, or have some large dogs on the property to scare the deer away. Neither of those options is a possibility in our situation.

I've read about other possible deer deterrents, including spraying various "anti-deer" or rotten egg products directly on and around the trees. I've also read of hanging bars of smelly soap or even dirty socks to keep deer away. Someone recently said to use strong fishing line tied to wooden posts to scare deer away. These remedies seem to work for some people but not others. I've even read of someone pouring containers of human urine on the trees and in the area to keep deer away.

Last year I used black nylon bird netting to keep the deer away from the trees, and it worked until we had a wet snow and ice storm which pulled the netting down to the ground.

Anyone have any other ideas how to keep the deer from damaging the small trees?

Thanks.

TYG

Comments (28)