SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spruceman

Protection from deer--my 'rope a dope' idea

spruceman
15 years ago

I have been trying to think of some new methods of discouraging deer from damaging my trees. I have been using wire cages made from woven wire cattle fencing, but the price of the wire is up substantially this spring, and I am getting so many cages that I will use for about 10 years--200 or so--and then have no use for, that I am looking for something else cheaper and less wasteful in the long run.

One of the problems with the deer repellents I have tried so far is that they wash off in the rain so readily. The last one I tried, "Plantskydd" claims to have some kind of oil included to make it stick to the plants, but the first rain after I applied it seemed to wash it all off. I couldnÂt find any trace of it at all, but perhaps it was on the ground and still offered some protection.

Anyway, my idea to keep the repellent--ÂPlantskydd" or some other repellent, from washing off so easily, is to cut sections of some kind of reasonably thick cotton rope--maybe not as thick as clothesline--and soaking it in the repellent, and then draping/tying them over and/or around the plant/tree.

I had a long conversation yesterday with a wildlife biologist working for the State of Virginia, and he said he thought this was an excellent idea--that the rope should hold a lot of the repellent and help the effectiveness last longer. Of course, if the odor has only a limited life no matter how long the substance emitting the odor stays in place, the benefit is limited. He said that he has no firm information about that, but that weather conditions--amount of rain, humidity, temperature, wind, and sunlight all could have some effect. He also said that buck rubbing as well as browsing should be discouraged. And for trees where buck rubbing is the main threat, the season for that is just from September through December, so maybe just two soakings would do the job.

Of course, this idea is for using repellents that depend of smell as the effective repelling agent. Obviously, if the repellent works through making plants taste bad, it wonÂt work.

If this method proves to help, I will call it "rope a dope."

--Spruce

Comments (19)