SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dennis1983

Winter protection for peach trees

dennis1983
12 years ago

Hi

About winter protection of peach trees. How you protect peach trees for winter? I just put net around mine peach trees. I think i need to protect peach trees from rabbits. We do have rabbits here. I put net around mine peach trees, because i don't want them to bite mine peach trees. It took me a lot of effort to get a peach tree, don't want rabbit to do harm mine peach tree. I don't know if rabbit eat peach trees, peach tree bark i meant but here is advised to protect young apple trees from rabbits. They bite young trees bark, i don't know if they eat young peach tree but don't want to figure it out. Do you know do rabbits eat peach trees? When i put net around mine peach trees, rabbits have not yet biten mine peach trees. Yeah they didn't eat mine peach trees in summer, but it don't mean they don't eat them when food in nature gets low in winter.

I put net which is 100 cm height, that is 3,28 foot in U.S.A. as you use foot there. Is this enough high net? I guess this depends how tall is snow. Do you know how high rabbits jumps? I don't know, but think of it.

We don't have moose here because i am in city. Moose would be much higher and i think could easily bite over that 1 metre net. How you protect your peach trees, if any? Do you use net? What kind of net and height? I saw in shop when i bought this net, there was also net which had thorns or do you call them spikes in U.S.A.? Would that would be good or better? Well i think i can buy it later, if needed. Another possibility would be have both.

What animals you have there in U.S.A. which could bite peach trees? I think rabbits is there also and yeah Scottfsmith mentioned raccoons.

Other than that net protection, i think snow would be good protection for winter. Snow is good insulation so root don't die in winter. One question about snow in winter regarding peach trees. When you get snow do you jump on it so it goes lower? When you get snow there is usually air in between snow so jump on it lower it heights. I have read it helps of mole damage in under ground. At least i think it lowers snow height so rabbits don't get so easily over net.

Do you do something else for protection of peach trees? What animals you protect your peach tree from? Would be good to hear how you protect your peach trees for winter.

Comments (14)