SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
frank27603

my weekend 'finds' and a freebie!

frank27603
15 years ago

I didn't find any bulbs for $1.25 or $.99 (sadly) but I did find the nice bulbs at Smith & Hawkin for $7.99 which is half off their regular price of $16 for the regular sized bulbs. They had some jumbos for $21 at the beginning of the season, but in my opinion, they weren't that much bigger. I think it may be a case of smooth marketing. Anywhoo! On with the show...

I was hoping to get a Dancing Queen, but they were all gone. What was left was: Picotee, Black Pearl, one Syndey, and more unlabeled. I got another Picotee and not sure why. I THOUGHT I got a Black Pearl, but when I got home it was a Red Dragon with a huge offset...good mistake! The Syndey bulb is in terrible shape, but it was the only one left (I know why b/c it looked so bad) so I decided to rescue it. When I went to check out, I told the lady it looked kinda bad and she agreed. She said "it looks like something chewed on it" and I agreed with her. She then spoke magic words I've never heard when buying an Amaryllis bulb before...."I'll just GIVE it to you since you're buying these others and we can just write it off". I was like WHOA! Is the bright light coming on in a second? Is this my lucky day or what? Yes, I do believe so! So I decided to purchase another since I had already planned to get the 3. I didn't know what to get, so I took a wildcard and picked a nice plump one with no label. We'll have to wait to see what it becomes! Now I think I will take back that Picotee and trade it for a Black Pearl if they have any left since I already have a nice Picotee from there.

From the left: Red Dragon mother and child, Picotee and 3 little chilren, sad Syndney and H. Wildcard

{{gwi:370976}}

And sick Sydney:

{{gwi:370977}}

Sorry these are blurry. If you look closely, you can see a hole right in the middle going into the basal plate. The bulb is firm and I don't see any damage to the basal plate either. I am going to let it bloom and then decide what course of action to take on it from there. If anyone has a clue what could be the issue, by all means make suggestions!

{{gwi:370978}}

I hope one day very soon you all will hear those magic words when at the register with your bulbs! Even if they are a little sad...

-Frank

Comment (1)

Sponsored
More Discussions