SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vicissitudez

A few reference web sites

Vicissitudezz
10 years ago

I imagine that everyone here is familiar with the 'Help Me Find' web site- it is a wonderful resource!

Two foreign-language web sites that you may not know about can be quite useful if you're looking for photos:

To use this Polish site, go to this address: http://www.roses.webhost.pl/

Look at the menu on the left and under 'Kategorie', click on the second category, 'Encyklopedia r�ü'. I don't know Polish, but I suspect this translates as 'Rose Encyclopedia', because that's what it is! It isn't nearly as extensive as HMF, but has quite a few rose photos that aren't in HMF. As you might expect, the emphasis is on roses that grow well in Europe- moderns and oldies are featured.

The second site is an academic botanical identification resource- not just roses, but there are quite a few roses featured, and there are quite a few photos of leaves, stems, thorns- not just pretty flowers. Many sites do not have nice, clear photos of rose plants, but so far I'm impressed with the ones I've seen. Again, moderns and oldies.

To see photo galleries at this EU site, go to this address:
http://dbiodbs.univ.trieste.it/carso/ico01

Under the search box, 'Famiglia / Family' use the drop-down menu to select 'ROSACEAE', then type 'Rosa' in the search box for 'Nome scientifico / Latin name'. Then click on the 'Cerca / Search' button to see an alphabetical list of roses they have featured.

If you like to use photos to help you ID roses, these resources may be useful supplements to HMF. I believe that the EU site has everything in English already, but you can use 'Google Translate' or some other machine translation service if you're using the first web site, and your Polish is not up-to-speed... Both web sites have lots of features, so you may want to click around to see what else is going on there.

And just for anyone who isn't familiar with HMF, here's that link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose search at 'Help Me Find'

Comments (3)