SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sammy_gw

Asian woolly hackberry aphids

14 years ago

This is the google name for what I have, but in my garden I would call it Oklahoma woolly sugar maple aphids.

The aphids go to the tree. They fly and swarm. Their dew goes all over the tree leaves and drops to my roses. Along with them come a huge crew of ladybugs and their larva or nymph stage. They coat the pots, and are everywhere, and of course with all else, the ants are here. One red ant bit me twice before I could stop it, and the welt lasted a week and was about the size of a mosquito bite. I intend to think of it as a fire ant at this point.

We had these last year, but I didn't think they would return. I contacted the Master Gardener in Tulsa, and he said I should spray the hose to the tree. (I wanted the city to know what I had. BAd bad advice).

I have had a rather large rose garden for about 20 years, and have not used chemicals for about 4-5 years. I know about regular aphids, but these are a different type. They fly to your hair and down your shirt. Lady bugs are not always good, especially when you have so many.

I have called for estimates for removing the tree. Can anyone here direct me to a non - idiot who could give me some advice? The Agriculture department in Oklahoma is very elusive. I don't know for sure where they are, but they depend on the Master Gardeners. Last year the Master Gardener gave me good information, but I thought their presence was a one time thing.

We also have many big white grubs in the soil.

I would appreciate any advice you can give me, and any site you might recommend. I will remove the tree before I put an insecticide all around it to protect the leaves. My dogs would surely eat the leaves, and even if they didn't, I have discarded about 150 large rose bushes because they needed spray. I will not spray for these things. They are way way up in the tree. Last year almost all of the fallen leaves were loaded with dew.

Help!!!!

Sammy

Comments (2)