SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
qbush

Cover crop for onions in '13

qbush
11 years ago

What Cover Crop to plant for next year's onions?

Onions are a new crop for me. I grew about ten pounds from Home Depot sets this year, and they won't last the month, (DH LOVES onions) so next year's goal is 100 lbs of onions.

I have three beds earmarked for onions:

A: had Zuchinni, now supports snap peas, Daikon and Turnip Hakurei

B: has beets, Lima beans, and Fennel just starting to crop

C: just had Beans Goldenrod

I am working on turning in the beans, which fed us and three other families until we NEEDED something else to eat. The only problem I encountered was some Japanese beetle damage.

I have read that cabbage is a bad crop to precede onions, and that lettuce, melons and squash are good. WHY? Do lettuce etc make such light demands on the soil that onions are more likely to be satisfied with remains? Or do these crops add something to the soil unique to their growth? I have lettuce seed available, but I also have winter pea seed that I had purchased as fall cover crop. Since I have already begun digging in the beans, and fresh grass clippings which cover crop would work best? Peas that I don't crop, or lettuce? I am assuming both will winterkill this year.

Onions look like a root to me, but... So would horse manure and lime be a useful addition. It is mid September, and I only have 4-6 weeks to cover this bed, so thanks for any help!!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus