SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
le_jardin_of_roses

Essay On My Garden, Or The Holidays, Or Both

le_jardin_of_roses
14 years ago

I am going through the weirdest emotions. I am in the holiday spirit. My Christmas tree will be put up next week-end. I bought some cool silvery-blue and silver ornaments at Target. (They had a buy two and get one free deal with ornaments). I'm playing Doris Day and The Carpenters Christmas CD's constantly, so I'm in the spirit, but my garden is constantly on my mind.

Winter is short here. More like a mild autumn, really. (Though, we need rain as much as we need a little Christmas now). I'm very excited about next spring and the way the years are flying by, it will be here before you know it! So, I'm gearing up for January pruning and the re-arranging of my garden. Come February, I'm expecting buds to be on many bushes. How can I control this obsession? I want to be in the moment, but I keep going over my garden plans for next season and my new rose orders. I spend whatever free time I have going to the garden and deciding where everything will go next season. Why is it, by the way, that your garden looks a whole lot bigger in your mind? In my mind I have room for 12 new roses, but when I stand in my garden, I realize I only have room for 8 more new ones.

Well anyway, I am trying to combine the roses that will be the background roses with my showy ones. I figure some of my old-climbers and teas are more like the bones of my garden and the DA's, for example, will be the showboats. Which of your roses are your workhorses and which are your shining stars?

What I really want to say is Happy Holidays to all of you and a Happy New Gardening Season, too!!!

Juliet

Comments (6)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!