SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chris_ont

Overwintering pet ginkgo

chris_ont
16 years ago

Hi

I have a pet ginkgo tree that needs to be overwintered.

The reason it's a pet is that I bought it as a 6-inch seedling in home depot and have nursed it for the past four years in a pot. I don't have any space to plant such a potentially huge tree, anyway. Someday, maybe :)

Anyway, it grew quite well for two seasons, overwintering nicely in the glassed-in porch where it could go dormant but not end up too exposed.

But then I moved and it suffered horribly. It was left out (my fault) in a hot, exposed spot for too long and lost all its leaves, but then put out two new shoots at its base. I sank it into the ground with its pot over the winter and covered its roots with mulch.

It came back this spring, from the base, sending up two shoots. The main, original trunk is dead. The two shoots are now about 6-8 inches tall but mostly green, rather than woody. So now what?

Store this plant in the basement? Not too cool down there, but it works for the Canna tubers. An unheated garage? Freezing in there, but no freeze-thaw heaving to worry about. Sink the pot into the ground again?

In any of these cases, I can't see the green stems surviving. Can this plant be kept from going dormant and treated as a houseplant for a season?

I've become quite attached to this little guy and the challenge of trying to keep it going is rather interesting.

Comments (10)