SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
macky77

Just a clarification question about storage onions

macky77
12 years ago

There's so much great info in all the threads here that I don't usually post many questions. Thanks to everyone who's asked my questions before me! :)

All my LaSalle onions were ready to harvest this past weekend, so I pulled them on Saturday. Right now, they're laying out on a bridge (we got it cheap at an auction of a playground manufacturer who was getting rid of damaged pieces) in our yard. They're in the shade all day except when the sun is low in the evening. We've covered them with plastic at night when it looks like a dew will be forming and removed the sheet promptly in the morning. They've not gotten wet since they were pulled. Most of the necks are collapsed and dry already; I may have left them in the garden longer than necessary because we've been so busy.

{{gwi:366523}}

Are they fine here out in the open or do I really need to move them to a basement or garage? Neither of our two garages have space as they're currently filled with construction supplies for a current project (and hubby's junk). All our (dry) outbuildings are filled with hay and straw for the winter. If they have to come in, they have to go to the basement.

We've been having nighttime lows of 9 and 10ÃÂC now and the trees are starting to turn. I read through this thread (link below) and a poster mentioned that you do not want to bring onions in from a cold temp to a warmer temp because they'll start to sprout. I'm pretty sure the basement is warmer than 9 degrees. It's still getting into the high 20s during the day (was 32ÃÂC on Sunday). Advice? I just want to make sure I'm understanding this process correctly. This is the first year I've had a significant number of onions size up this nicely. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: link to GW thread on onion storage

Comments (6)