SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
veronica_p8

Newbie question about onions

veronica_p8
13 years ago

Ok, this may sound silly ... but it's my first year gardening. I planted onions from starter bulbs. They are growing like crazy (greens 2.5 ft tall at least) for three different types, the specifics I can't remember (of course) but white, red, and brown (the brown were "sets" I think? as in, they had a long "green oniony" look, but they were brown ... it was some kinda sweet onion.)

BUT...

I read through some threads a couple of days ago about onions, and I wen through that whole long one where the person seeded with tweezers and overwatered and planted and got powdery mildew and such. (It was a very dramatic thread. I tried to explain it to my honey and he just stared at me blankly ... he thinks I'm kinda crazy with this whole gardening thing.)

BUT...

The image of her onion patch with all of the beautiful onions sitting on top of the soil startled me. At first, I thought she'd pulled them and was letting them rest and dry before bringing them in for storage, but then I realized they were GROWING that way.

(Is that normal?)

My experience with "bulbing" things is limited to daffodils ... and for them, the bulbs are under the ground!

(Are onions supposed to bulb above the ground at what I would call the "base of the stem?") I planted the seed bulbs under the surface, and I've just assumed they should be growing there. Is that the difference in how they look when you grow from seed (the bulb grows on the surface) vs growing from seed bulbs?

Forgive me if this sounds ignorant, but I've been looking at my onions sideways ever since reading that thread wondering what's going on with them. Inquiring minds want to know! :)

Thanks for your time and thoughts (and lack of laughter at me :P ).

-v

Comments (7)