SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
strawchicago

Anyone tried Neptune soluble fish fertilizer?

strawchicago z5
12 years ago

I found a link that showed excellent result with Neptune soluble fish fertilizer, pH of 5.0, calcium of 3.64, and Iron of 101. Neptune has good amounts of calcium and iron, which are often deficient in alkaline clay soil.

The alfalfa pellets did poorly in this university experiment, showing chlorosis in marigolds. Alfalfa pellets has pH of 5.9, calcium of 2.24, and less Iron at 65. However, when neptune soluble fertilizer is used in conjunction with alfalfa pellets, marigolds achieved biggest bloom. Marigolds pH range is 6 to 8, compared to roses pH range of 6 to 7.5.

Both Chamblee and Heirloom nurseries recommend a slow-release nitrogen fertilizer, then a soluble fertilizer applied at 2 weeks interval. The Chicago Botanical Garden stated their soil pH at 7.4, with composted leaves and they use a soluble fertilizer 20-20-20 for their roses. There's salt-build up with chemical fertilizer, esp. with potassium chloride with a salt index of 118.2, and ammonium sulfate with a salt index of 88.3. Other chemical nitrogen fertilizers are also high in salt.

I like blood meal, NPK of 20-0-0 and alfalfa meal, NPK of 2-1-2 for nitrogen. These have less salt than chemical fertilizers. Please let me know if you have good experience with Neptune fish fertilizer, NPK of 2-4-1. Neptune pH is 5. This is great for alkaline soil, where phosphorus is tied up with calcium.

Thank you for any info. on usage of Neptune fish fertilizer. The pictures of marigolds in the link is very convincing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic Fertilizers in Marigold

Comments (14)