SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stlgal_gw

A great weekend for digging--room for new Romanticas--but which?

12 years ago

The weather couldn't be nicer for bidding a not-so-fond goodbye to non-performing plants and clearing the way for some rosy new additions! So I'm about to get all hydrangea-cidal on this annoying "Endless Summer" (someone told me it should be called Endless Bummer, because it is so poor of bloom for many gardeners--I'm no exception) etc.

So, I've been eying some tantalizingly beautiful Romanticas and wondering whether I can find them a home. Also still want a couple more Austins (Lady of Shalott and Endeavor, especially if I can find them somewhere that also carries Romanticas). So, if you only could pick a few of these beauties, which would you not be without?

Here are ones I'm especially considering--any extra information regarding the relative winter hardiness, fragrance, rebloom, disease resistance and anything else to know would be great. My zone is 6a with a southern/southwestern exposure and fair wind protection, although the beds are elevated about 12 inches--so I never lose even the tenderest of the Austins (Molineux) to winter kill here. I think some tough winters do kill unprotected hybrid teas here however. I'm willing to toss some mulch on top and bury the bud union well for winter, and to do the occasional Bayer 3-in-1 treatment to ward off disease/insects, but don't have the time to devote much additional care to individual prima donnas. Fragrance is one of the things I value greatly...

1. Frederick Mistral--already ordered this one.

2. Yves Piaget--the blooms look spectacular.

3. Liv Tyler/Comtesse de Provence--again so so pretty

Rouge ROyale--would this clash with my purple-red Austins (Will Shakespeare) It looks awfully red, red? Colette?

Others I should not be living without??? If they don't make this year's order I can still keep them on my 'wish list' for future seasons...

Comments (21)