SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dogpatchlady

Hurricane wind damage, seeking help

dogpatchlady
15 years ago

I live about 20 miles inland from Galveston, rural area. We only had wind damage, shingles and some trees. We're lucky!

Five years ago, we planted a number of young trees. The live oaks came thru fine. One crape myrtle, the big white kind (can't remember variety name) tipped over. Several Eastern Red Cedars also tipped over. We have stood all of them back up, tromped them down lightly and staked them.

My big concern is the 30 year old Arizona Ash that is the jewel of the backyard. Yes, I know they are not good trees, have a short live span, etc. etc. This one was planted long before we bought the property. It is (was) healthy, and it shaded the house, patio and most of the yard. Regardless of the variety, it was a major asset to our property.

The ash got twised and banged around badly. It lost some branches, not so many really, but one of the four main branches at the first branching above the bottom was broken off and stripped a section of bark off about 16 inches wide and 3 feet long. The tree is still remarkably symetrical, just a slimmer shape. Is there anything I can do to prevent insects, rot, whater from getting into the stripped area (wound)?? I know not to put paint on it, but it's a big enogh area that I'm worried about insects.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Tnx, Dogpatchlady

Comments (5)