SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greyandamy

Which tree transplants better

11 years ago

I don't know about anyone else, but by this point, I HATE gardening... brutal summer. SORRY, had to vent, I'm sore and frustrated.

REAL question, "not too bright" me planted a weeping bald cypress (cascade falls) in spring, it's grown more than I thought. TOO CLOSE to it, I planted a red majestic contorted filbert.

Problem, one is I'm learning there's a grade that needs leveled, majorly... the filberts down from the taxodium but WAY too close (it too has grown a lot, which I thought they didn't)... The filbert is not liking the taxodium's water (They like it drier).. plus TOO CLOSE.

When dormant, someone's gotta move (SIGH)... I see the filbert has impressively LONG, LONG white (on one side) feeder roots (side close to cypress aren't as healthy).. The cypress has put out long, long feeders... I believe they both get taproots and neither are the "best plants" reported to transplant...

Which would be easier, the cypress was in a smaller container when I purchased, I still haven't a clue how big it gets, I hear everything...

I worry I'll kill one in transplanting, and I don't want to. I've killed enough in other ways. The cypress was more money , but it seems as though it may need a lot of root room, I worry the filbert will get that blight I read about, but if it does, it does...who knows, maybe it has it, I can't tell if the stems on some branches are supposed to be cracked due to it's contorted nature... I don't see the black spots.

The filberts current size above ground (if it matters) is about 6 feet by 4 feet. The bald is narrow but staked somewhat is about 7 feet (guessing)...

Any advice, I appreciate... (oh, and methods for SORE muscles, fingers all cut up... the marks of a gardener??)...

Amy

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County