SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mmqchdygg

Crap- didn't do homework! Cold Strat not happening

mmqchdygg
16 years ago

We're doing our seed-starting "party" today at noon for the adopt-a-spot site for "Earth Day."

I got containers, supplies, and seeds sorted.

What I forgot completely was that what I have done at home works because I started it in the WINTER...and we're now well into "spring" sowing, and anything that needed cold-strat isn't going to get it- namely about 1/2 of the seeds that I picked out: Daylily, Columbine, Lobelia, Salvia, Rudbeckia, Penstemon...to name a bunch.

CRAPOLA!!!

I realize that most of these wouldn't have bloomed this year anyway, but I'd hate to "fail" publicly when they think it's already a whacky idea. Low or no germination will be totally horrible!

I do have a bunch of easy annuals in the mix- marigolds, zinnias, nasties...so it won't be a total flop, but the reason I chose most of those other perennials is for their heat/drought/crappy-soil tolerance.

(I have to say that I WAS perfectly happy doing this on my own, failing privately when I did have failures, but overall succeeding and just doing my own thing. I'm not entirely ok with people saying "I told you it wouldn't work" when I already now know that it very well might not with some of these seed choices, and that overall, it DOES SO work!!!)

Any suggestions?

Or any additional choices that I can pull out of this honkin bag-o-seeds that I can substitute?

Comments (9)

Sponsored