SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarah_bella_gw

Garlic, what did i do wrong??

Sarah_Bella
18 years ago

I had no idea such a forum existed!! Im THRILLED!!!! I hope some of you can help me with my dilemma.

A few years ago i thought i would try growing garlic so off i went to the grocers, picked up some nice heads and home i went to plant it. I pulled all the cloves off and planted them one by one in nice rows. The greens grew tall and when fall came i went to harvest. To my disappontment i found one round fat bulb at the end of the greens as opposed the the nice head full of cloves i was expecting!!! my dreams were SAHTTERED@@ So that was that for my garlic growing and havent grown it since.

This year i found some garlic at the grocery store that was already sprouting its greens so i brought them home and quickly planted them, now i have some wonderful garlic greens about a foot tall and im hoping someone guide me in how i can get huge cloved filled heads to grow. Do i have to leave them for more then one season?? two more seasons?? my luck with allims of any sort is just sad. I have never produced a good head of garlic, a softball sized spanish onion or any onion for that fact, they just dont seem to grow for me. I suppose i should consider myself lucky to be able to grow chives lol

I was talking to my SIL one time and she said it takes 7 years to grow garlic and that was discouraging. Do i REALLY have to wait that long???

Thank you guys for any advice you can give me, i will be researching this later on this evening when i find some more time but thought id post here since i just found you all and am quite excited to learn what you seasoned pros can offer :)

Sarah

Comments (21)