SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fenix_gw

I'm an idiot! girdling roots inevitable?

fenix
16 years ago

I really need help this time. I am actually losing sleep over this one!

Last fall when I purchased several maples I was pretty green (and not in a competant way) when it came to planting them. The nursery I purchased the trees from didn't tell me I needed to score the sides of container grown trees and thus I didn't know. I got my info on how to plant container grown trees from arborday.org, which doesn't mention scoring. I also may have planted them too deeply. I had never even heard of root girdling until about two days ago as a result of researching what was going on with an autumn blaze maple I just purchased. Today I went around to all of my maples and dug down to the flair and noticed that all of them had small roots growing around them. Some of the roots extended out, but all had at least a couple of roots growing either around the bottom of the flair or growing out a little ways in a circular motion. I ripped and cut away what I could, but the trees are far too rooted down for me to dig them up and replant (which I tried). For reference, I planted two autumn fantasies, two red sunsets, and one black maple.

Does anybody have any suggestions for me? Is girdling root something that "might happen" or something that is inevitable when trees are planted this way? Is there anything I can do other than what I've done? What about fertilzing a distance away from the tree to encourage that the roots grow out? Let me know your thoughts; it would break my heart if they only lived 10-15 years because I screwed up.

Comments (6)