SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
esyke623_gw

Transferring rose cutting into soil

esyke623
11 years ago

I am trying to learn how to grow roses from cuttings. I have tried and tried, and failed. However . . . thankfully, I discovered this rose forum! Everyone has been so helpful-- thank you all so much for your advice and emails! You have encouraged me to keep going!

Now here is my problem . . . I think, from what one of you said, that I may have picked the wrong time of year to start rooting cuttings (This batch was started around a month and a half ago). I guess I didn't think about the time of year, since I have never had any cuttings survive. Whenever I trim my rose bush, I just try to root the cuttings I have taken off, just for practice.

A few of these, though, seem like they might make it! I am so happy! I rooted them with rooting hormone, in pure perlite. They were not in any greenhouse/plastic bag. I rooted them outside in the shade, in plastic pots filled with perlite.

Now, a few of the pots have roots growing out the bottom. I have never had this happen before! I am so glad they are thriving! My questions are 2:

1. How and when do I transfer these cuttings to pottting soil?

2. Will they die if I transfer them to soil, and bring them inside over the winter? I hate to have had success after so many tries, and then kill the cuttings when it gets cold!

Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you all for your gracious responses-- it is such a pleasure to learn from people who are so knowledgeable about roses, and are so helpful to newbies! Thank you!

Comments (8)