SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mayberrygardener

Too late to start? Use the freezer?

mayberrygardener
14 years ago

Okay, so I am a chief procrastinator. That, and I have had some pretty crazy stuff going on, and the combination has been detrimental to my wintersowing of my vegetable garden schedule. As in, I have nothing sown. I started my peppers on a heat mat (gee, only a month behind?) the other day, but does anybody have an experience force-winter-sowing?

Here's my thought process: I'm going to wintersow as normal, but throw everything into the freezer for a while. I am planning on taking them out during the day to "thaw," thereby mimicking the natural freeze & thaw of spring, and then when we're due for a couple of cold nights in a row (it hasn't been below freezing for a WEEK... I hope it GETS that cold again?), I'll stick them outside. If it doesn't get cold soon, I'll leave them in the fridge for two days then stick 'em out...

Think it'll work? Has anyone tried this successfully before? I really don't have the time/space/inclination to baby more than just the peppers at this point, and had great success with my WS'd 'maters last year (thank you, Trudi!) All suggestions welcome!

Comments (6)

Sponsored