SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tophers

Vine Maple diseased?

tophers
13 years ago

Last year, I had a Coral Bark Maple that had some sort of disease which killed it. The bark began peeling off, and underneath was what looked like new bark, but it was grayish-tan and broke away in a chalky powder. Last fall, the leaves turned brown, never fell off and the tree was dead by spring. I had a red-leaf Japanese Maple that died of a similar issue a few years ago, but I attributed it to being transplanted in the summer, rather than waiting until fall.

This year, I am noticing the same thing on my Vine Maple. It is a multi-trunk maple that is about 10-12' tall, planted on the east side of a 2-story house (morning sun only). I have lost about 35-50% of the bark on several of the trunks...but each trunk has damage. One of the trunks splits into a "V" shape about 6" off of the ground...it has lost about 50% of it's bark and the wood underneath is splitting down the middle. It appears the only thing holding the two branches together is the newer bark on the backside of the tree.

I planted the tree there about 2 years ago. I had bought it a year before, in the spring, but had planted it in full sun, so that fall, I moved it to the current location to give it some shade. Since I bought the tree 3 years ago, it has not put on even an inch of new growth on the top section of the tree, however, this spring, it put on new shoots from the base and about 6" off the ground, some of which have grown about 18-24". The tree has a large amount of seeds on it (which I fear is the foretelling of it's demise). There aren't any dead branches, but some sparse ones, for sure.

I'm preparing myself for removing it, as it appears that the tree is too far gone...however, as much as I am wondering what the problem is with my Vine Maple (and was with my Coral Bark and red lace-leaf JM's), I am concerned that this is a problem that will spread to the rest of my maples. I have a 7' Emperor I Japanese Maple, a 3' red lace-leaf Japanese Maple and a 20' Autum Blaze Maple, all in my back yard.

Does anybody have any experience with this problem? Will this issue possibly spread to the other maples in my yard? Thanks for your help.

Comments (8)