SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
honolulurose

Vinegar for pH control 'A warning'

honolulurose
14 years ago

I thought I might warn those of you that might be tempted to use vinegar to lower the pH of your water.

The pH of our water is about 8.0 -8.2 measured with a Taylor swimming pool kit, after having read posts on this and other forums where it suggested one or two tablespoons per gallon would help lower the pH to around 6.5; I then used one tablespoon. This was many months ago.

All my container roses went into serious shock losing many leaves, and in some cases nearly all their leaves. I then went down to our local pet store and bought an inexpensive aquarium pH test kit (which I obviously should have done before embarking on this foolish experiment) and found that one tablespoon of vinegar in one gallon gave a pH reading well below 5, most likely it was 3.5!

It seems that not all 8.2 pH water is the same; to get the pH down to 6.5 only requires one TEASPOON of vinegar in our area. The reason I believe is that our water is not very well buffered, our water has very little calcium (80 ppm), and it alkalinity is also relatively low (60 - 80 ppm).

While 1 tablespoon might work in some areas of the country, it might not work in others so be forewarned and test with an aquarium kit first before you are tempted.

I no longer use vinegar in the water for my container roses and they did recover.

Please learn from my stupid mistake, and be careful of simple solutions especially when they come with remarks such as "My Transylvanian grandfather swore by this when he grew roses", or, "In Poland everyone use vinegar and vodka with roses", etc. Obviously if your soil is very alkaline to start with this might not be an issue, but shocking the plant with a super low pH water might be.

Comments (13)