SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
friedajune

Somewhat Newbie - Please Help Me Protect My Garden for Winter

friedajune
16 years ago

This winter will be my third winter with roses. Last winter (2007) I lost 4 rose bushes after we had 3 weeks straight of 0 degrees in Feb. Since I only have a tiny city garden with 7 roses total, that was a drastic reduction. I didn't protect my roses at all last winter, because the previous winter (2006) I didn't protect them, and had no problems whatsoever, but 2006 was a mild winter. I am hoping you experts can guide me. I did look at the Roses Forum FAQ, but need a bit more guidance than that.

Also, I have a small front plot that faces SE, and is z5b for sure. My back plot faces NW, with some shade, and is literally 10 degrees cooler, so is a z5a. Strangely, all the roses that died over the winter were in the milder front garden. But that could be cause I only have in the back Darlow's Enigma and a mystery rose that was there when I moved in, so perhaps they're tougher.

I replaced the roses that died with roses specified to be for z5 or z4. They thrived over the summer, but are nevertheless only one season old. I noticed my neighbor protects her garden with evergreen branches laid over everything. Would that work? Also, When do I put the protection down? Thanks so much!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting