SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alphatridata

Help with winter protection for newly planted 6 foot emerald cedars!!

Sophie H.
8 years ago

Zone 5b here. I got a row of emerald cedars - 8 of them, newly planted in May this year to serve as a privacy hedge at the backyard. With a layer of cardboard and 2-3 inches of wood chip mulch, they are doing well, lush, and bushy.

Just wanted to ask for some advice on how to protect them from the harsh winter. Read a few threads and sites about using burlap, moisture loss from drying wind and cold, sun scald/damage, but hoping to get more elaboration.

1. Should I bother to wrap them? They were already 6ft+ when bought, so they aren't exactly "young", but given the transplant shock, they aren't "established" so to speak..... :0 ? (Most sites often excluded the tree age/transplant time, not sure if this makes a difference, but wanted to double check)

2. Found this pic online, should I enclose my row of cedars with this makeshift burlap fence? Front and back? or just one-side is fine? As opposed to the traditional burlap wrapped "mummy tree" image, how is this type of protection better at protecting cedars (according to this site that i found http://homes.winnipegfreepress.com/winnipeg-real-estate-articles/renovation-design/GARDENING-Time-to-wrap-up-fall-chores/id-2378) Not trying to pick on the writer's suggestion, just wanted to understand why and to be to honest, I really like this set up.

3. Should I add another 3 inch of woodchip mulch on top a few weeks before the first snow? or the snow mulch will be sufficient throughout the 6months of wintry weather? I do get snow storms, heavy snow... usually have knee deep snow, occasionally waist deep... won't be spreading salt in the backyard, so no salt damage.

4. Can I use green tarps instead of burlap ? They are somewhat breathable-ish..... From where i lived, burlap is much more expensive than tarps, considering the size of trees I have got. But if burlap is the better choice, i will go with that - don't wanna jeopardize the trees and add up potential damage, dead trees, searching for replacements, nursing trees back to health when they could use that time to grow fuller and taller.

Thank you soo much!!!

Sophie

Comments (19)

Sponsored
All American Painting Plus
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars114 Reviews
Loudoun County Paint & Wall Coverings Professional: Best of Houzz