SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
displacedclevelander_gw

Foolish, newbie wannabe rosarian: wrong zone

Not only am I am a newbie to this forum but I am a newbie to gardening.

Back at the end of July this year, I bought three roses via the web (Heirloom). At the time of this purchase, my computer was acting funky so I placed the order over the phone. Knew that I definitely wanted to get 2 Double Delights but couldn't decide on the other rose so I took the person on the phone up on their suggestion of Just Joey.

The three roses arrived. Cute and little like newborns. Transplanted them into 3 gallon containers with fancy soil that I bought at my local nursery that was supposed to help them grow. It worked. All three have doubled in size.

Due to Kansas City's oppressively hot summer, I held off until early September to put the roses in the earth. Around the time that I put the Double Delights in the earth, I realized that Just Joey is suggested for zones 7-10.

At the time I placed the order for the plants, I didn't think to verify the zone stuff with them because I assumed that they would only suggest my zone and quite frankly, I was so excited to be getting more roses, it never crossed my mind.

Since then, I've held off putting it in the earth because I'm not sure what to do. Would you recommend that I keep it in its current 3 gallon container? Bury it in its current container in a huge terra cotta pot right next to my house door? Should I put it in the earth? Should I put it in my neighbor's garage (it has windows)? Or should I accept it as a loss and start planning it's funeral now?

In my first year gardening, despite the outdoor sauna of a summer only 1 of the 10 roses that I planted died (rosette). Hopefully Just Joey will survive. My fingers are crossed that my zone 6a isn't too far off to have a zone 7 rose in it. If anything else, it's a lesson learned :-)

Sorry for the long explanation. Thought that background would be helpful.

Any advice, suggestions? Thank you in advance for your wisdom and assistance.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012