SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joshtx

A Good Day for Rosing

joshtx
10 years ago

I had to sneak another peek at the cuttings on the back porch today, just to see how they were coming along. The one Mons Tillier I use as a way of telling how the others are doing popped out of the soil with these babies!

I did a happy jig to commemorate the event.

I then proceeded to check another random MT, which did not show quite the extensive root growth as this one. But it still had callus and looks great. I pulled it out of the soil instead of allowing the soil to come with the rose and fall away when I turned it upside down. I realized I may have inadvertently pulled roots off of the callus. I have almost 8 cuttings of MT though so I wasn't as panicked.

I also checked a 'Maggie' which showed some callusing, but one of the two strikings I had made along the bud eye was blackened and closed off so only one side had a very minimal amount of callouses. I am hopeful though because this one is already attempting to throw little baby sized basals.

The MT in the picture may be further along than the others though because I watered it with Superthrive a week ago when I checked it. As far as I know, Superthrive is not useful for much else than pushing roots on cuttings. Who knows.

Another happy surprise was that I received 'Baboosic Rose' suckers from Diane today! Imagine my surprise when I opened the box and there were three huge bareroot plants with roots systems in tow. Quite a surprise when I have only received cuttings so far. The picture on the right is of the three suckers potted up. They fought me the whole way but I finally wrangled them into submission. The thorns on that rose are bloodthirsty!

I am now eagerly awaiting my package from Vintage. The pleasant weather has definitely revitalized my love of working outside.

Josh

This post was edited by JoshTx on Wed, Nov 20, 13 at 21:37

Comments (25)