SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
monben

40+ rose bushes..... unknown varieties

monben
10 years ago

I just bought a home where one or more of the previous owners must have enjoyed roses, because they are EVERYWHERE. I don't have a lot of experience with roses, but I do enjoy them when they are healthy. With the tress now quite mature, the majority of these are now in full to part shade, and receive little water. Only two are doing well in the main front bed with plenty of sun and a drip system..... one of which is sprawling, around 8' in diameter, with many small to medium sized white blooms. The other is a bit smaller with larger peach blooms. (I will try to post photos.) My problem is with the 30 plus rangy, stalky, non blooming and ill-shaped varieties all around the rest of the property. What to do with them? They are a variety in size and color. My first inclination is to find a good sunny spot on our 3 acres, further away from the house (and pool), mound and amend the soil well, and transplant 99% of them to one single, large spot, with hopes of bringing automatic irrigation out there within the year. Some thoughts are: along the outside of a split rail perimeter fence, on the back side of the barn, or just a corner bed in the yard. I'm imagining with better placement and care, some may grow quite large and need to be moved again. Any way of knowing ahead of time how big they will get/what type and habit they will be? Any suggestions?

Comments (25)