SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mcbdz_gw

I think I may have too many

mcbdz
15 years ago

Ok. I planted over 90 jugs so far and 55 jugs already have sprouts. Out of those 55 I have only planted out 3 jugs and have 24 have several sets of leaves and need to be planted out now. I have lost 6 jugs due to an earlier freeze. I finally have the veggie garden ready and just started on a bed in the back that, most of my jugs will go in but, it is raining now and suppose to for several days.

I don't think I can keep up already. I just planted a big batch of jugs on the 22nd and 23rd and they are already sprouting. HELP. I'm scared I'll never get all these in the ground. And I still have some seeds I need to sow. Where was the warning on this forum.LOL :O). SO who is up for a planting party next week? :OD

Pattie

Comments (19)

• anewgarden
    15 years ago

I have never been to Louisiana!!
    I'd love to come plant seedlings!
    Don't ask twice!

• retiredprof
    15 years ago

Oh, it's insane, isn't it? I planted out like 10 jugs of lettuce, each with about 100 seeds (I was worried). Of course, they all sprouted. I'm transplanting out now, but do I have to tell you I could feed the state of Delaware with these seedlings?

• mcbdz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cool. I'll make sure there is plenty of fried chicken and cold ice tea. I have plenty of mint for the tea also. LOL
    Make sure you dress appropriately. I'm sure after this front passes it'll be back up to about 80 degrees and sunny. :O)
    Pattie

• velsgarden
    15 years ago

Next,all of you can come to Tennessee and help me.They should warn newbies about over doing it.Ive got almost 300 jugs,havent even sowed the annuals yet,and almost half of the 300 have sprouts.I will supply the Bud....

• ohsillyme
    15 years ago

Almost 300 jugs?!!! Dear puppy!! You are going to be one busy plunker this year!!!
    I learned my lesson from my newbieness last year, and that was only 50 jugs!!(very small gardening space)
    Well, actually, I'm already up to 50 with lots more to go - I guess I just learned 'not to sweat it',,,I am adopting Bakemoms attitude - Survival of the fittest, Let Ma Nature have her way, like a 2 year old.
    This, and only this, will assure my sanity is still somewhat intact at midsummer.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    15 years ago

I'm sorry... I'm confused.... can someone explain this to me? What is this "too many" and what does it mean? I don't understand...

:)
    Dee

• mcbdz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It means I don't know If I can plant them all out. I would hate to confine my babies to their rooms... I mean jugs for ever. So, come on down and show me how yall do it so, they can come out.LOL Have a glass of ice tea. You'll get really hot. :O)
    Pattie

• token28001
    15 years ago

One jug per hole. That's how most of mine are going out if they are perennials. But fall, I will know where the holes in the garden area and what needs to be filled. I'm not going to take the time to plant HOS when I have 200+ annual containers that need to be planted out.

• karendee
    15 years ago

This thread is so funny!

I too may have a lot of jugs. I have 132 right now.

If I have to I will plunk some in the neighbors yards. They need flowers!

I like the one jug per hole. I will probably do that with the plants that I have several jugs of the same plant.

Karen

• mmqchdygg
    15 years ago

I can't answer you. Your post sounds too much like an algebra quiz, and I can't do complex math this early in the morning.

Tip: Do a search for the term: Plunk 'n Run. That'll alleviate your stress.

• ollierose
    15 years ago

Ha, I'm up to 450 containers so far and I'm still sowing. Lordy me, I guess I'll be planting out until this time next year!

• lblack61
    15 years ago

Ollierose,
    You don't know how right you actually might be!
    I have had jugs sitting on my porch or indoors "overwintering" because I just didn't get to them.

I have learned (I think), and I may actually only sow 200 containers this year (I'm at 182 or so now. I still have Basils and Zinnias to do...then whatever stragglers I find).

Linda

• karendee
    15 years ago

450, wow that is a lot!

I hope they all are ready to plant at different times.

Maybe you have someone to help? I plan to train my kids on planting this year. I can bribe them with a couple bucks.

Karen

• carrie630
    15 years ago

... this is when you learn to use bakemom's term:

"plunk and run"

carrie

• ontheteam
    15 years ago

Het..I all ready got eyes on space at my moms,brothers and sisters they need plants in.
    The girl I work with loves Cilantro I told her fine she can have it but it comes with at least 3 surprises and the Boss who wants 'Mater plants ..well he may end up wiht a LOT more then he bargained for.

I figure I can HOS in to jugs to give out.

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Welcome to the Land of Plunk-a-holics!! :D

I wish we had a GW bus that could just do weekend runs to everyone's homes and we could have some awesome gardening/planting parties! Would be so much fun to meet everyone on here!!

~Wendy

• mcbdz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I like the bus idea. Let's start a collection .HEEHEE. First stop. MY HOUSE. LOL Ice tea with the mint growing all over the side of my house. Party gifts. hunks of mint to take with you.HAHA
    Pattie

• karendee
    15 years ago

I like the plunk and run party idea! Bring the bus by my house in May. I will serve Margaritas :)

Karen

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

Plunk and run party sounds great!

Newbies seem not to pay attention to the earlier warnings of concern for where to put all of the sprouts at plant out as they are worried about if there will be sprouts.

I am still sowing seeds even though I have two holding beds full of plants.

Sponsored