SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
strawchicago

Beware of espresso grounds - acid burns on my rhododendrons

12 years ago

I should have followed the site, gardensalive's instructions: "Will added, explaining that the other 31 samples of raw coffee grounds they have tested over the years all had a pH below 5, too acidic for even some of the so-called acid loving plants... so high he recommends adding a cup of agricultural lime to every ten pounds of grounds BEFORE you add them to your compost pile,"

I tested espresso' ground from Starbucks against my hubby's coffee ground from Sam's - it's more acidic in red cabbage juice. I tested a tiny amount of espresso' ground around my rhododendrons. Within a few days their green leaves show pinkish discoloration.

Hubby's grounds from Sam's club were great on my roses, since it's on top of a thick layer of alkaline horse manure with straw/wood chips bedding. Someone else killed a young rose before with coffee grounds.

When I tested alfalfa meal against peat moss, it came out more acidic than peat moss. In the summer I had band-size William Shakespeare rose in a MiracleGro potting soil (pH of 6.5), I put alfalfa meal around him. He hated it with increased acidity. In contrast, the alfalfa meal and alkaline horse manure combination were fine for other baby roses in the ground with alkaline clay soil.

Ingrid did ask about fall top-dressing with alfalfa meal. It's OK if you mix this acidic stuff with other medium so it doesn't glue up in an acid crust. Alfalfa tea (NPK of 2-1-2) works instantly, so does blood meal (NPK of 13-2-1) - and these are more appropriate for the spring time.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022