SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luanne_gw

Amusements for a Fall garden...

luanne
15 years ago

A lot has been said about the Fall garden. At this time my overactive imagination goes full bore and it almost seems as if the roses themsselves have something to say.

The roses are unanimous. They have taken a survey and to a man they are not in the

mood for winter

." It is long and dark and boring and I prefer to just go on blooming my fool head off and looking as elegant as you please and thank you!"sniffed the normally amiable Irene Churucca. Perhaps IÂve been telling her she is my favorite a little too often and itÂs made her snippy.

{{gwi:222113}}
Irene Churucca

/"I personally think it is a waste of good foliage, I havenÂt looked this good all year and you want to prune and defoliateÂwrite me down for a good bah humbug."

{{gwi:241291}}Old Port

"It interferes with my amorous activitiesÂsend me back to La Belle France!" insisted Frank. I told him the weather was much worse there!

{{gwi:321845}}
Francis Dubreuil

"IÂll agree as long as no one says I look to flightyÂI am not the blonde of the rose set"said the small firm voice of Ellen Wilmott

{{gwi:321847}}
Ellen Wilmott

"I could cheerfully bloom all year said MAC, It would not hurt my feelings."You are not allowed to grow over into the next county." I replied. She has imperialistic dreams.

{{gwi:321848}}
Mme. Alfred Carriere

{{gwi:321849}}
"I donÂt know, feeling kind of sleepy."

Mrs. Oakley Fisher

"you know that once you get started on winter, itÂs very hard to go back! I think it is an awfully big decision, not one IÂd take on lightly."

"We need the rain, you forgetful flowers, sometimes I forget what airheads, roses can be.

{{gwi:321850}}
Yves Piaget

And that is the state of my garden, I thought we had done with politics for awhile. Since when have roses been enfranchised??? It could be a long winterÂ

la

and this is how I amuse myself on the short fall days...

Comments (18)

• cincy_city_garden
    15 years ago

Great pictures. I especially like Yves Piaget. Hmmm, I wonder what would my roses be saying right now? (Sniffle, sniffle, cough, cough...yawwwwwn) :)

Eric

• morrisnoor
    15 years ago

Luanne!!! LOL LOL LOL !!! :o)))))))

• melissa_thefarm
    15 years ago

I know what MY garden is saying:

"Thank goodness it's raining at LAST!!!!!! And what lovely temperatures, cool, but not freezing. I think I'll just quietly grow roots and foliage, or else swell some buds for spring." That last voice is drowsy, one of the plants that has gone into dormancy.

Luanne, you sure have some mouthy roses.

Melissa

• jbfoodie
    15 years ago

Too funny, Luanne! Perhaps the roses will pipe down a bit after the hot weather coming on this weekend. I know you can keep them in line, lol!

• LindyB
    15 years ago

I think I need to listen more closely when I stroll through my garden. Who knows what they are saying behind my back.

• organic_tosca
    15 years ago

Luanne, I am totally in love with the "Irene Churucca" rose after seeing your pictures (ALL your pictures are gorgeous!). I got a Pernetiana myself from VG's autumn list - Angels Mateu. It is so tiny, but valiant-looking.

I know what MY roses are saying: "This woman doesn't have a CLUE about growing roses! So c'mon, gang, it's up to us!!" Although now that I have arranged a little more sun for them, they look, in the afternoon when the light shines through their leaves, as though they are all going "Aaaaahhhhhh..."

• brandymulvaine
    15 years ago

Oh Luanne! Thanks for making my day :-)
    What a gorgeous family you have!
    I would like one of everything-unfortunately I need minions(for planting,watering,weeding,etc...no wait minions can do dishes and laundry that way I can plant,water, and weeed...!)
    -B

• blackcatgirl
    15 years ago

:-)

*smiling ear to ear*

Your photos are lovely. Mrs. Oakley does look like she's ready for a nap. You are a gem, seriously you should think about a book.

I need to go and listen closely....my children are in for a shock this weekend - 3 cold fronts in a row are blowing through with a nice freeze predicted. Buh by lovelies!

Patty

"hehehe...hussy little roses...such attitude they give you".

• luanne
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Patty, I'm afraid they were very badly brought up. I considered using their mulch money for rose charm school and sadly found that there are none.
    Any plant with thorns needs good verbal skills'.
    B, I have no minions but rather have been heard to walk around muttering "To heck with the housework!"and take to the yard. Life is short.
    Tosca, last time I looked VG has Irene this fall. A rare opportunity for something so beautiful. I would keep her if she swore like a parrot.
    They are not very dissembling except for some of the hybrid musks, they just come right out with it, or maybe my roses are worse than other people's polite roses...
    Are you kidding Joanne, this is what they had to say when they weren't suffering, imagine with heat--oh the strangled voices "water...gasp...water."
    Melissa you hit the nail squarely on the head, perhaps if I hadn't started talking to them in the first place. It is rather a shock the first time they speak to you. Who knew they could be so opinionated...
    Thank you Maurizio.
    Thank you Eric, do you have a cold?
    la

• cemeteryrose
    15 years ago

Luanne, in the cemetery and in my home garden, the roses are having the same sort of defiant burst of bloom. We are all torn between admiration for their fabulous display and eagerness to get started with our pruning. We've had to content ourselves with fall planting, trimming some of the overexuberant climbers, and tying things up in preparation for winter storms, while the roses bask in the sun and bloom, bloom, bloom.

Love your photos and transcription of what they've been telling you!
    Anita

• cincy_city_garden
    15 years ago

Ha Luanne, I don't have the cold, but imagining what my poor roses are thinking right now under our cold, dreary, wet overcast skies. Some are still blooming, but most are drifting off to their Winter slumber.

Eric

• carolfm
    15 years ago

Lovely roses, a little sassy though.......

Carol

• redbirds
    15 years ago

Luanne, my Madame told me that EXACT same thing this morning!

• luanne
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Anita, I am so happy not to be the only sentimental fool who can't bear carving into a fully bedecked Sombreuil!
    Eric glad you are not sick but simply afflicted with drowsey roses.
    Carol, you are right. I have no idea of how to break them of the habit. The saying goes, the tongue weighs hardly anything but so few can hold it. Both the roses and I are guilty.
    Redbird, I feared it was in the DNA

la

• gnabonnand
    15 years ago

Luanne, your roses certainly have strong personalities. Roses with that much charm can get away with it.

Like your MAC, I also have some with imperialistic desires. Mrs Dudley Cross is so darn happy with my hard red clay and relatively harsh climate, the girl just wants to be huge. I sometimes feel guilty for having to attempt to restrain her. Reine des Violettes apparently has been watching, as she is huge right now too ... who'd have thought? But she will be a piece of cake to "reine" in, if necessary. And you remember my beloved 'Adam' & 'Cramoisi Superieur', who both received the reluctant boot for threating to move in on neighboring states.

There's just something about Mrs. Oakley Fisher, as your photo well shows. I've always admired that rose.

I really enjoyed your rose story above. My favorite line? "Any plant with thorns needs good verbal skills".

Randy

• onewheeler
    15 years ago

Luanne I was talking with my roses today and they told me they want, need, indeed are demanding a little heat. I told them if they want to stay with me they have to toughen up. I could see those canes straigtening as they got full gist of my tongue lashing. LOL They better behave or 'santa' won't bring them any new playmates for spring.

I hope yours listen better than mine. They look so pretty too! Who knew such wicked tongues wagged behind those beautiful petals. Shame on them. LOL

valerie

• mendocino_rose
    15 years ago

Amusing and very lovely Luanne. My roses are trying to carry on bravely too but we are much colder and wetter here. I do really love this time of year.

• luanne
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Your roses are as brave as you are and the cold keeps the Albas. My one Great Maiden's Blush is always marginally successsfull.
    Valeer:
    My roses, for all their Mme. Tongue properties have so often provided blooms for me when I need them, that I forgive them their quirks and like yours they are very attentive to lectures and the pointedly planted shovel...
    Thank you Randy, as my roses go, so go I. Funney how yours fluorish in that bad soil--it can give you hope for the rest of us, that in these hard times we can do with less coddling than we are used to.I have a number that keep getting retrained to avoid legislation against wandering roses!My Pax speaks in terms of Tri-state areas...
    Norman tied one cane down in order to keep it from flying about. It has grown another little Pax right there! Must be moved!We too are "reine"ing in Reine but it is La Reine--what a scent.
    Thanks Everyone of you,
    la