SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dragoonsers

Need help choosing about 20 roses!

dragoonsers
10 years ago

A bit about my climate:

Coastal area, somewhat tropical. Summers are 85 to 100F highs, and lows of 80 to 85F. Winters are mild, sorta like spring in the colder regions with temps from 50 to 70F. So as can be guessed roses bloom well in the winter months, from November till March (late spring). We have rains in the summer months, roses put out growth then but blooms are tiny and usually go dormant in sep-oct due to high temperatures. Pruning is done late october, and blooms galore november onwards.

I now have space for about 20 to 30 roses. Mind you, they will be in containers- 10 to 15 gallons. I'll start them smaller and work them up, they grow better that way. I do not want perfect blossoms in the summers, but amazing blossoms in the cool winter months!

Criteria:
1. Should do well in a container. In my experience almost everything does well, just the size of the plant remains small but blooms are awesome.

2. Should be able to survive high temperatures. I recently lost quite a few roses (unknown varieties). But now I plan on using shade cloth for high heat months.

3. Must repeat well. Only 5 months of to bloom, and I want atleast two flushes!

4. Fragrance is a must. I just can't stand a rose without fragrance. A rose may look pretty, but I want to stick my nose in it and get lost in the scent. Lol.

5. Open to all options, HTs Floribundas Minis and even climbers (though they remain small but grow like crazy).

6. Disease resistance isn't much of an issue. My neighbours use chemicals like crazy and I hardly have had any rose disease except cane borers, scale and spider mites in the dry months.

Having said that, I do have the following currently:
Double Delight
Scentimental
Century two
Maria Shriver
Sharifa Asma
Wild damask (don't know exact variety- but it is used as rootstock locally)
Fourth of July (7 feet tall in a container!)

I've decided to get the following:
Golden Celebration
Crown Princess Margareta
Abe Darby
Gertrude Jekyll
L.D Braithwite
Claire Austin
The Prince
Nahema
Othello
Dark Lady?

I want to try the following reds:
Mr. Lincoln (cannot resist the fragrance)
Chrysler Imperial
Crimson Glory
Oklahoma
Papa Meilland

Golden Shower climber.

Need suggestions for fragrant hybrid teas and floribundas that would do well. I've seen the above austins growing locally so know they do well. I want to see which red HT will do well. Let me know what you guys think!

Best,

H

Comments (17)