SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dennisb1

How necessary is deadheading?

dennisb1
14 years ago

Frankly, I'm both lazy and stretched a little thin regarding time. I can see where dead heading a rose that sets hips should be dead headed to produce more blooms (or doesn't clean itself well), but this is the case in only a small fraction of mine.

So my question is: what's the point?

thanks

Comments (23)

• michaelg
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The reason "self-cleaning" is mentioned in descriptions is that such roses don't need to be deadheaded for aesthetic reasons. Once-blooming roses that set hips don't need to be deadheaded either. Repeating roses that set a great number of hips will bloom better if deadheaded, but you can experiment to see whether it matters much to a particular variety. The response varies. Some repeat pretty well despite hips forming, while others don't.

• jacqueline9CA
    14 years ago

I am embarrassed to say that I gave up deadheading at all years ago - I decided to spend the limited time I had for fussing with my 100+ roses on feeding & pruning (if needed) them once a year. Then I discovered how lovely the hips are! Even repeat blooming roses like Altisimo have the most marvelous hips - I am using them in flower arrangements as we speak. The rose hips join the various other berries (pyrocantha, holly, privet, etc.) in making a display throughout the garden in winter.

Most of my repeat blooming roses set hips, and then just bloom again anyway. I think the need for constant deadheading may be one of those myths that arose along with the need to spray poisons every 2 weeks, never plant a rose where it won't get 6 hours of direct sun each day, pick up every leaf that falls to the ground, prune only in accordance with rigid specific rules, etc. - some folks just like to have lots of rules & regulations! I discovered long ago (when I got exhausted trying to keep up with the rules..) that ignoring them makes for a happier gardener, and even frequently happier roses, not to mention the wildlife (who, by the way, like rose hips!).

Jackie

• Related Discussions

to deadhead or not to deadhead

Q

Comments (19)
    Finch -- The hormones that trigger bloom formation rise to the highest point in the stem, so if the rose goes straight up 8 ft., guess where the blooms will be? And yes, some roses also drop their lower leaves. Some people prune ruthlessly after each flush of bloom, to promote another flush, but I think you won't have those plants for many years, if you keep doing that. One approach is to plant something in front of the rose, to cover up its bare legs. (I have heard roses described as "ugly plants with bare bottoms.") Another approach might be to espalier the plant against a fence or wall, pulling canes out on the horizontal (which results in many blooming laterals). Or you can wind long canes around a tripod, to promote the same thing -- blooming laterals. Jeri
    ...See More

how to deadhead coneflowers????

Q

Comments (17)
    I've been collecting Echinaceas for about four years and have many many of the new colorful ones. This is the first year I've seen seedlings and I must have fifty or more seedlings growing up almost everywhere in the perennial bed.. Must be the seeds liked our winter rains this year. Anyway, I'm not a deadheader, preferring to leave the dried seed heads for winter interest and the birds, but I might have to rethink that plan because I can't bring myself to weed the seedlings out. I guess I'm hoping that I'll see an unusual flower.
    ...See More

Buddleia - To deadhead or not to deadhead?

Q

Comments (27)
    Well, I've learned in reading this thread that heavy pruning is essential in late Winter or before Spring growth. But I've seen two messages: the buddleia dies back to nothing in Winter, or, I keep it like a tree. I'm closer to the later. I want the buddleia to be about 6 to 9 feet. This is my buddleia's first season and it grew to a large 4 feet fettered some by my constant deadheading and some shaping on the way. So for a 6 to 9 foot bush/tree it sounds like for my first Winter I should NOT trim it back to 12"? Maybe just a very heavy pruning that leaves some heavy center wood tall and ready to increase size this coming year???? Does that sound like a good approach? (this is purple knight I think, looks like the above picture in this thread)
    ...See More

Something nipping the buds of the roses, how to prune/deadhead?

Q

Comments (1)
    Keep as much plant as you can. So sorry about the buds being eaten.
    ...See More
  • patriciae_gw
    14 years ago

I agree with the above. Deadheading is often done for something to do. I enjoy wandering about in my rose beds when all the real work of pruning and fertilizing and mulching and weeding is done. I pick snip, pinch, and enjoy the smells and look at the different bushes and how they are doing and make notes and this is why I garden...I like to garden. If I dont have time or can't(this last summer was a total bust as I had knee trouble all summer long) I dont worry about the effects of not deadheading. The Bourbons had their fall bloom anyway and the Noisettes and Polyanthas continued to do their thing so far as I could tell from the sidelines. It does make everything look more tidy. You garden for pleasure, so do what pleases you and dont let anyone tell you different. Thats what I say.

patricia

• jerijen
    14 years ago

Well, there are a few roses that are not self-cleaning -- and which look pretty tatty if you don't deadhead them.
    Blush Noisette is one of those. The dead blooms just sit there like old Kleenex. :-(

But, aside from those special cases, I agree with you.

Jeri

• michaelg
    14 years ago

'Carefree Sunshine' is one that, if not deadheaded, covers itself with large hips and then doesn't bloom nearly as much. I don't know how common that is because I normally deadhead thoroughly-- it's just harder to keep up with CS because she blooms so much and self-cleans.

I've observed a 'Generous Gardener' that bears tons of large hips by midsummer and then does not repeat at all, but I don't know what happens if it is deadheaded.

There's no doubt that hips absorb energy that the plant could be using elsewhere, but strong shrubs can spare it easily. As Patricia says, gardeners should do what they please.

I don't regard deadheading as a chore because I just pull off spent flowers whenever I pass. With one large once-bloomer that doesn't self-clean, I shear the plant once a year with hedge clippers, which serves as the annual pruning as well as deadheading.

• sherryocala
    14 years ago

Excellent, Lux, it was well worth reading for me. You said a very impressive mouthful. I learned a lot from everyone's posts. Thanks, Jackie, Michael, Patricia and Jeri!

Sherry

• michaelg
    14 years ago

Interesting that HTs only give three flushes in northern California. I get four flushes plus additional bloom in November, or a 5th full flush from a few plants.

• dennisb1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks, all; esp. Lux. I can rest a little easier.

Looks like, for me, to concentrate on just shrubs and HT's. Traviata, The Squire, and Fragrant Cloud have 3-4 bloom cycles without deadheading. Heritage and Abe Darby set hips and seem to benefit. Some, like Sombreul and James Galway, are too large to worry about.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    14 years ago

Here it is necessary for size control. The roses would be too tall without trimming back after each flush.

• growing2010
    14 years ago

Very informative thread... loved your post, Lux. Also liked the thought of letting the large ones do their thing and shearing them back after it's all over. None of mine are that big yet, but it's good to know that is an option. Usually I just pick off spent flowers as I walk by, or if I have time when watering. I'm not worried about it, I know everything will get renewed in the big jan/feb prune.

• rosecats
    14 years ago

This thread has indeed been very informative.... I've been hearing lately that NOT deadheading is better as roses appreach dormancy, to aid them in going dormant, as well as for winter color & wildlife food. Since my climate is similar to Lux's, with mild winters, I'll follow her advice. Interesting comparison...I have about half as many roses as her, but only a minute fraction of her rose knowledge!

• jerijen
    14 years ago

Some, like Sombreul and James Galway, are too large to worry about.

*** But Sombreuil (if you mean the climber) will repeat best if it is deadheaded.
    It is one of the roses DH took to deadheading with a hedge-trimmer.

Jeri

• rosemeadow_gardener
    14 years ago

Good thread Dennisbl.
    I have just started deheading since our Spring flush, regretting I hadn't done it earlier. I have been busy watering, weeding and mulching. It is dry here and I have alot of new roses to give extra care to.
    So its real good Lux, to know the process of reblooming
    has already started on some of them eventhough I am late. Thankyou for yours and everyone else's knowledge here.
    Lux, what a bit job you did for 2 years ! What brought it about ?

• bluesibe
    14 years ago

What I am learning is to know your roses. This past summer I was unable to deadhead. I noticed that a rose like Felicia bloomed away and much more rapidly than when I deadhead, yet Prosperity, right next door, did not repeat as often or as splendidly. Jude the Obscure did not like the lack of attention. Orfeo bloomed from late April and still has blooms on it today, but it looks better when cleaned up.
    The old HTs want deadheading. I think it is a watch, learn and experiment kind of task.
    Carol

• lori_elf z6b MD
    14 years ago

I've noticed that many of my Austins benefit greatly from deadheading. Some need it to keep in shape/bounds, and some seem to bloom in more regular and faster cycles. This year I slacked off deadheading and noticed a difference. Portland roses also seem to respond to deadheading with faster bloom cycles.

• organicgardendreams
    14 years ago

Very interesting thread. To be honest it never occurred to me that deadheading could be not necessary! I guess there is always more to learn about roses :-)!

After being back from a 5 weeks trip to India and having a closer look at my garden I would like to share one observation. I usually deadhead very regular, but the last 5 weeks the roses were watered by my husband but not deadheaded at all. Many of them had made a nice Autumn flush but stopped flowering after that, except my white Iceberg shrub roses and the white Iceberg climbing roses. They continued to flower to this day. To me it looks like that they did better not being deadheaded in terms of flower production than when I deadhead them regularly. I was thinking that roses need to be deadheaded, because if you don't and let the roses set hips that signalizes the roses that they have fulfilled their job to produce seeds and they stop producing flowers. Besides that I personally don't like the look of dried up flowers so much.
    But by now I assume that I usually deadhead at least the Iceberg roses too severely and that they would be better of if the flowers would be just snapped of (if you still want to deadhead them) but not cut back a couple of leavelets down a cane. Does someone else have made the same experience with Iceberg roses?

• jerijen
    14 years ago

Iceberg is more or less a Hybrid Musk Rose, and no. It does NOT really appreciate being cut back hard.
    It will be its most graceful and productive if NOT chopped back all the time.
    The downside of that being that in mild Southern CA, it can be pretty big.

One of the reasons Iceberg has become something of a cliche in our climate is that it is planted everywhere.
    And it is planted everywhere (including gas station landscaping and hotels) because
    it shines when it is neglected.

I have too many commitments, and a bad back -- so
    I really appreciate roses that are happy with benign neglect.

Jeri

• organicgardendreams
    14 years ago

Jeri, thanks for your answer. I will take your advice to heart and from now on deadheading will be only a "nibble at the blooms" and not cutting them back so much anymore :-).

Winter pruning is a different story though. As you mentioned Icebergs get quite big here in SoCa and mine need to be kept in boundaries otherwise I am not able to grow them in my small garden.

I will read a little bit about Hybrid Musk Roses as a class to understand the needs of Icebergs a little better. I think, I still underestimate how important knowledge about rose classes is!

Christina

• williamcartwright
    14 years ago

Some, like Sombreul and James Galway, are too large to worry about.
    But Sombreuil (if you mean the climber) will repeat best if it is deadheaded.
    It is one of the roses DH took to deadheading with a hedge-trimmer.

***Next year the top of my Sombreuil covered arbor will likely be pruned Clay Jennings style.

For now I deadhead Sombreuil almost every day by the snap method (breaking off the flower stem at the "abscission point") like your wise Grandmother taught you Jeri, and this rose blooms virtually non-stop here.

Bill

• jerijen
    14 years ago

Bill, the older I get, the more often I recognize that my Nanny was ALWAYS right.
    :-)

Jeri

• williamcartwright
    14 years ago

Bill, the older I get, the more often I recognize that my Nanny was ALWAYS right.
    Jeri

*** I imagine she'd be pretty proud that you have shared her wisdom (and a great deal of your own) with so many people. Me included.

You are a treasure!

Bill

• jerijen
    14 years ago

Bill, you are a flatterer!

Jeri