SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_thefarm

Warm winters, cold winters

melissa_thefarm
13 years ago

Last winter was, by local standards, very wet, dark, and cold. Weather this year is shaping up to be wet and dark as well, with gray skies and rain since Halloween and more of the same forecast for the rest of November, only with lows descending into the thirties. Ugh. Naturally my Teas and Chinas chose this period to launch into a major flush, which will never be completed, though maybe they won't be frozen back as hard as they were last year, when they were caught by a hard frost in December after weeks of mild weather. I suspect that the last two cool rainy winters have caused significant canker on 'Bon Silene' and 'Safrano' and half ruined both plants.

The compensation for all this misery is that last year the once-blooming old roses were splendid. They loved the cool damp weather that continued into June. It looks as though in any year half my roses are going to be splendid, and half will be miserable, depending on whether the weather's warm and dry, or humid and cool. Half a glass, always.

Melissa

Comments (25)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH