SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wanttogarden

I just realized I had Eglantyne all along!

wanttogarden
16 years ago

As I mentioned before I had few roses in the garden before I got serious about roses this year. Few HT that has been left over from privious ower, (may she rest in peace.) I had added few that I bought bareroot from HD for few dollors to celebrate something. Off course, the name of the rose was meaning less to me at the time and I never remembered or cared what I bought as long as the picture on the bag was pretty.

Amoung those roses there was a rose that had the heavenly smell and most wonderful flowers. I never seen any other rose but HDs). In the past few years it had reached 6-7 feet. This year I got the DA bug. As I studied every rose in DA book, I susbected it to be Sharifa Osma, but could not have been an Austin since I only had paid no more than $5 for it.

Today as I was cleaning the dead foliage off of it. (Bad case of BS and nearly leafless.) I noticed the plastic tag that has been on it for 7 years. "ER. Eglantyen." It is an english rose. Now I need to identify other 5 mystery bushes.

By the way, Austin's size description says Eglantyne is 4.5 ft X 3 or 6 ft as climer. Sounds right on the money. Now I need to get my gardener to stop summer pruning it to 2 ft after every flush. Blach spots are an other story. Can you tell from my rambling I am excited!

Comment (1)