SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
serenasyh

2 future? Sutter's Gold and thinking of swapping one out

serenasyh
14 years ago

My row of roses are all very tall (1st year grafted Lincolns are 7') and Aromatherapy (own root but probably 2nd year aged when it arrived at the nursery is 6'4")and my first year own-root Tiffany is trying its hardest to reach the same height (It's 5 foot tall already). Can Sutter's Gold be as tall as Aromatherapy? And what are the typical blooms like? What concerns me about Sutter's Gold is that it may not have the large hybrid tea shape that I am looking for. I also need for it to be tall enough to match my tall roses. I am looking for very large super fragrant blooms. I don't want any more pouffy shapes like Fragrant Cloud. I enjoy FC but one is enough! I also worry about Sutter's Gold having less petals too.

What I lovvvvve is the fat huge spiraling blooms of my Climbing America and Gemini. I have seen a string of photos of Sutter's Gold and am worried it may have that moppy pouffy shape of FC. In other words less hybrid tea elegance.

Anyone grow Sutter's Gold? what are your impressions of its bloom appearance and style. Height?

This will help me decide whether to stay with 2 or go with just one and substitute for an orange rose that I'm absolutely drooling over (this rose is tall but the stems may be weaker-needs support during the winds according to Lana).

Comments (3)