SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
regehr

Visit to K&M Nursery

regehr
16 years ago

First, let me introduce myself. My name is Ryan and I have been "lurking" here for the past year or so. I have posted a couple of times but just quick little inputs. I live in Chandler AZ, just south of Phoenix with my wife and 3 year old son. We have over 120 roses and plant to add almost 30 more this winter which will put me at the max of my yard. All of the roses are OK, now that we are acquainted let me tell you my story. I work for Nissan and traveled to our manufacturing facility in Canton Mississippi to do some work for the next model Titan. I had planned to fly home on Friday morning but decided that I would stay late and go see K&M nursery.

I left Jackson and drove 2 hours to Buckatunna Mississippi. The farm is located on a small country road and can be identified only by a sign in front of the house. After pulling into the driveway I immediately knew I had arrived, roses and greenhouses every where, it was great. James and Daisy were inside and immediately came out and greeted me with their wonderful southern hospitality. Daisy had work to be done and I tagged along with James as we walked through the farm.

First we walked through what used to be his display garden. As many of you may have read several weeks ago James has decided to start exhibiting again and will no longer maintain the display garden. At its peak it was home to 1000 roses, most which were planted in the ground. This is a tragedy because it is UNBELIEVABLE!! I am not sure how many rows of roses there were but they were in nice lines that went up a hill; I could only imagine the beauty during a spring flush. Evan now my novice eye could spot many potential Queens on the enormous bushes.

In the middle of the roses were enormous Fortuniana plants that were used for the rootstock. We then moved to the different greenhouses that contained the potted rootstock at different stages. Several other houses contained grafted roses that were at several stages of development. Many of the roses were ready to ship, but most of there sales occur in the early part of the year. In Arizona we can plant in the fall to give the roses a jump start before the heat hits in June.

Next we went into the room where the roses were grafted. I saw the birth of almost 10 roses and it was amazing. It is a very delicate and amazing process, which is all I can tell as I was sworn to secrecy.

Roses are not the thing grows at K&M nursery. James and Daisy also have beautiful fields of Blueberries. The blueberries are harvested at the end of May through the first of July. The harvesting and sorting all occurs on site and the berries are sorted and packaged on the farm.

If you ever visit James and Daisy be sure to make a stop at the Buckatunna café. Wow, they make really good soul food. We had ribs, chicken, potato salad and spectacular banana pudding. I met several of the local farmers and the wonderful café staff.

After lunch we returned to the farm and discussed the rose that I should add to my garden and their latest additions. James had several insights into the roses that should be added to my yard and possible future bankers. We also discussed the decline in growers and exhibitors. It is sad that the more I learn about growing roses the more I see that I am one of the youngsters. Someone is going to have to step up and fill these propagating rolls.

My trip ended with a beautiful drive back to Jackson and on time flights to AZ (this always makes me happy).

I want to thank James and Daisy for a little bit of their very valuable time. I am still in awe of their skill and ability grow such wonderful roses. It is people like this that have attracted me to this hobby.

Comments (8)