SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bart_2010

how do you decide on placement?

bart_2010
9 years ago

Well, rose-planting time is appraoaching fast "qui in Italia" and as usual, I'm puzzling over placement.Clearly, one wants to put a taller rose in back of a shorter one, right? So, one goes onto HMF to find out how tall a given rose gets, and winds up more perplexed than ever! Example: I have an Excellenz Von Scubert planted sort of "behind" a Blue Jay delphinium. I'm hoping that ExVS will become tall enough to be seen "over" the bushy green of the delphinium. To hide this latter, I put Louis Bleriot at B.Jay's feet; Louis B is supposed to grow from 40 to 90 cms high. Now, what else to add? I have Purple Eden in a pot; that could go well, thinks I , only to find that PE gets from 60 to 80 cms high.So, IF LB reaches the 90 cms, then PE would be fine placed slightly "in front" But what if LB refuses to get over 40 cms, and PE goes up to 80? Now, please understand, I've been growing roses for more than 15 years, and believe me, I have moved far many more than I'd like to admit, so if it was just the one case... but it isn't. What if I wanted to through Eugene de Beauharnais into the mix (also in a pot and should go out)? THAT one supposedly can get from 60 to 120 cms high,so where do I put THAT? and how do I regulate myself with Cornelia (150 to 305 by 150 to 185?) Cardinal Hume is worse: 75 to 185 by 90 to 245 cms! I'd be delighted to hear how some of you guys regulate yourselves with this stuff. I'm kind of anti-pruning; it's sort of emotional as well as practical; I like to let a plant get as big as it wants, whenever possible...thanks for yopur thoughts, bart

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County