SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Dr. Manners and others please talk to me about chilli thrips ...

After a record cold winter year before last we had an unusually warm winter last season and I discovered chilli thrips on the roses in my San Antonio, Texas garden about a week ago. After searches on line about the control of chilli thrips I cut off two trash bags full of the affected foliage and flower buds and sprayed with spinosad as recommended.

I have several questions. Is spinosad providing enough control to keep on growing roses and other plants in warm climates?

What are some links to more recent studies? Most of what I find are from 5 or 6 years ago except some articles written for growers with instructions for rotating several different insecticides and beneficial insects that only work in green house situations.

Is there a recent list of what plants are most subject to chilli thrip damage? I haven't seen shrimp plants, elephant ears, palms, bougainvilleas, or phlox on the old lists.

I've enjoyed growing roses for over 30 years and am considering changing the direction of my garden to xeric plants like agaves, succulents, palms, ornamental grasses and the like rather face the futility of fighting chilli thrips, but I don't want to do anything drastic until I have more information.

Also I'm thinking that even if we have a winter which is cold enough to kill chilli thrips that when I bring things like bougainvilleas out of the green house the plants outside will simply get reinfected again. And who knows how many cold winters will come around anymore. Someone said San Antonio's growing zone has been changed to Z9.

I will look forward to your thoughts on these questions. There is much appreciation for all the knowledge here.

Comments (9)