SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly_gw

The reason we should label cuttings carefully

rosefolly
13 years ago

I root rose cuttings in a bed on the north side of my house under Leander. It is a good spot, filtered light and reliably damp. A couple of years ago I rooted some cuttings of "Barbara's Pasture Rose". I've also rooted several other roses there, one of the tea 'Sunset' and some of 'Cara Mia', some failed attempts at 'Bouquet d'Or' and a few others I forget.

I recently dug up a rooted rose from that area and planted it in a featured spot, believing it was Barbara's Pasture Rose. Clearly it is not. The color is pictured accurately.

{{gwi:316186}}

I seem to have accidentally rooted a pruned cutting of Leander. Or perhaps I did it on purpose. Last year a gopher came close to killing my Leander. I cut it back hard and it came back -- I'll bet I hedged my bets by sticking some cuttings in the ground to see if they would strike. I also purchased a replacement now vigorously growing out on the back fence. The color is lovely with our cooler weather. In hot weather it is much pinker. It reblooms well for me here and is one of Tom's favorite roses.

I will need to move it quickly. It is in a spot that absolutely requires a small to medium sized rose. Also I have two plants of Leander already, a grafted one on the north side of the house where this was found, and an own root one on the back fence, both very vigorous.

It is a lovely thing, though.

Rosefolly

Comments (6)