SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dublinbay

Eden--going, going, almost gone

dublinbay z6 (KS)
10 years ago

I'm stunned--my Eden climber is dying. It had an excellent spring bloom--see the pic below:

Eden--spring 2013
{{gwi:233097}}

Since then it has very slowly but surely faded away. Today it is looking quite dead.

I don't know how to explain it. We had a bad drought last summer--couple of my roses suffered and died from that. Just couldn't make it through the following winter. But Eden survived and bloomed beautifully. Then we had the first half of this summer under a continual grey cloud cover and misty rain periodically. Several of my roses started registering some waterlogging symptoms, but are better now that the sun has returned for the second half of this summer.

The only other change was that the pillar Eden was wrapped around rusted through to almost nothing in several spots, so I bought a new one, carefully took down Eden, carefully pulled out the pillar, put in the new one about a foot over from were the first one was (turned out to be more crowded than I'd expected with the old one), and wrapped Eden around the new pillar. And now it is nearly dead!

In addition to wondering what caused this tragedy, I'm also wondering if I should replace it with a new Eden next spring--after all, Eden is gorgeous when it does bloom--or should I try a different climber, if for no other reason than because it gives me a chance to grow a new and different climber?

In the meantime, here is my tribute to how beautiful Eden could be:
{{gwi:326019}}

Kate :(

Comments (16)