SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daisyincrete

Autumn in Crete. Off topic

Yesterday morning, the sun was shining after three days of the first rains. I travelled in to the local town early, whilst the sun was still low in the sky.

It was magical. The whole place looked as though the gods had come down during the night to touch the island.

Everything looked freshly washed and polished.

Looking down onto the olive groves, it looked like a molten silver lake, with the sun glinting on the tops of the trees as they moved in a slight breeze, making them look like little waves moving across.

The cupressus and pine trees stood out, dressed now in a richer, deeper green than I had ever seen them in before.

Every leaf and blossom of the oleanders glistened and stood out against the sky as though every one had been separately etched by hand.

As we passed through the villages, the bright colours of the bouganvilleas and the hibiscus had an added brilliancy, so that it almost hurt the eyes to look at them.

Bright splashes of colour came from the pyracanthas and virginia creeper along the road. Even the grasses, which all summer, had stood brown and sere, now were spun from filaments of bronze and copper.

I have always said, that rain is magical. You can water your garden all summer, but it never looks as it does after rain.

Daisy

Comments (9)