SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bh401_gw

Off topic...Who is sick of snow and winter?

bh401
13 years ago

I just felt like compaining! Hope you'll post your thoughts. I am so sick of this winter! I even wrote "I HATE SNOW" on the 8" of snow on top of my grill.

I know the dogs or tired of it. My yorkie takes 2 steps and does her business so she can run back in. Our mini dauch doesn't seem to mind even though you can't see much of him in the snow. Poor think has to bury his butt to poo. He can't even walk. He has to bound and send snow flying just to get around.

The teenagers are home again today. ughhh (Don't get me wrong but....they are getting on my last freaking nerve!)

Drove my daughter to a friends house...we won't be going tomorrow either.(Main highways are still snow packed and side roads>where are they?)

No work going on at the new house. Nobody can get down my road. Let me say it again...I'm sick of winter. I'm in Arkansas. Snow like this just doesn't happen(maybe a couple of inches once a winter. We've had what, 4 school closing snows???)

Monday cabinet maker said"weather permitting"-he'd have the kitchen base cabs I need set before the painters come back. This from the man who was sitting in the dark because power was out at his shop from Sundays snow. Then Wednesday major snow storm.

Feel free to add your own complaints!! I think I'm just going to roll over and sleep till spring.

Comments (38)

• melaska
    13 years ago

We, in Alaska, are sick of the RAIN that is making this snow very dangerous. Conditions are ripe for avalanches and perilous driving conditions. Snowpack is much more stable to drive on than layers of unstable ice beneath the snow.

We travel through a lot of mountain passes on our trips to Anchorage, 300 miles away. So, at this point, I'd rather have snow. We just got a huge dump but then, last night, I looked outside & guess what? Yep - RAIN! Arrrghghgh!

• Fori
    13 years ago

Winter is nice! The navel oranges are ripe!

Teehee. I did my time. I lived in Detroit.

• Related Discussions

I'm sick of winter

Q

Comments (35)
    Pattyw, that Hagley Hybrid grows through a spirea. I have no idea what kind, the bushes were there when we bought the house. I cut Hagley Hybrid every year to the ground and it completely devours everything around it in just a month. It even climbs lower branches of the sand cherry that grows by the bush. Grow
    ...See More

sick dwarf japanese maple?

Q

Comments (1)
    Don't worry, it's fine. Alot of different laceleaf cultivars vary in color from spring to summer to fall. Sunlight also plays a big role in how much color change you'll see during the seasons. Sounds like your tree is doing fine, especially since it's putting out its summer flush of growth.
    ...See More

Heartbroken! Hardening off and it snowed overnight! :*(

Q

Comments (5)
    Thank you, everyone. I knew you all would get it. The p lants are in an insulated garage now where they spend the nights during their hardening off period. The only "damage" I can see right now is some of them now have extremely shiny leaves. What the heck is that all about? I don't know whether to expect a slow death or perhaps they were hardened off enough? Jane, I like to get 'em out a little early because the birds makes nests in them. Awwwwww There are all sorts of pairs of birds outside right now, and I know they'd love to make a nest in the plants on my p orch. Babbling here ....come to think of it, last year we had a few late frost warnings, and I dared not mess with one of the p lants because there was already a nest in it. We never got a hard frost, but the plant survived those cold nights. So maybe there's hope. Runktrun, shopping for new plants would certainly ease a little pain. =) Thank you. (ps, I try to put extra spaces in a few key words, because those wierd links show up with certain words).
    ...See More

Anyone elso sick of SNOW?

Q

Comments (3)
    i think its they grey and the muckyness that gets too us all. i am always delighted when all the yuck is covered with a light dusting of new snow. and the sun is sparkling on the flakes. if its 'dry' cold i can deal with the cold. its clammy that i really just hate. although sub zero is never one of my favorite times of year, it too is ok if you don't have to go out in it. to fight off the greyness of winter my Dr has upped the amount of antidepressants i'm taking, so this year seems much better--- better living thru chemistry--, the other thing i do is plant a succession of crocus's in pots to force during the winter. i have about 12 4-6inch pots that i start and keep under the back porch. after new years i ghet one out about every 2 weeks and that gets me thru the gloomiest times. also this past week i went and clipped forsythia to force as well. and next week i'm going to the cleevland botanical gardens-- where it will be ghreen and warm. my wife would just prefer a week in florida. diggerb
    ...See More
  • corrie22
    13 years ago

I don't know what you're talking about....
    ...we were 82F today, sunny, and the perfect breeze

(I'm in south Florida ;-)

• danidag
    13 years ago

Me, me, me...I'm sick of winter! We are in the middle of building a house and are kind of at a stand still right now due to weather. It stinks! Oh yeah, did I mention we are staying with my in-laws while the house is being built...someone just shoot me please!

• melaska
    13 years ago

fori & corrie - my daughter in Sacramento has been doing the same thing to me. But, I told her I'll be bragging about our very lovely summers here in Alaska soon enough. :) It makes it all worthwhile.

I cannot take hot weather - we lived in California for 3 years & I thought I would die from June - September. Of course, weighing 160 lbs more back then probably didn't help ;)

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Maybe this will help :)

{{gwi:641259}}

{{gwi:1412561}}

{{gwi:1412562}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• bh401
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Husband is in Dayton Beach. I sent him a pic of Rex(the mini dauch) nose deep in snow. He sent me a pic of the beach/ocean view from his hotel. I sent back"I HATE U"

I'm ready for the weather to clear, the new house to be finished(was supposed to Feb 22-now with all the delays-at least March 8) and to be working in my new yard planting bushes and flowers on a warm sunny day.:) Now that thought puts a smile on my face!!

• bh401
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks lavenderlass. You must have posted while I was adding about DH. Those pics do make me smile!

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

Well, we had our 1st ice dam last Sat. Had a HUGE puddle in the new kitchen with water dripping from 4 recessed lights, down 1 cabinet and the wood range hood. On the 2nd floor water was freely flowing from the ceiling in 1000 places. I'm surprised the ceiling didn't collapse. Our contractor said the old linoleum floor saved the kitchen downstairs. My DH was out on the flat roof until 4 am chopping off the ice (he cleared the roof the week before of snow but the ice stayed) The room was being used as storage until we had time and money to convert it to a guest room suite. Contractor is coming tomorrow to gut the room - take out the blown in insulation, pull up the floor, take down the walls, ceiling and wainscoating and take out the old cabinets. Will take a look to see if any damage to the new kitchen ceiling. I thought I was done with construction! Also got our gas bill today. It's been unseasonable cold. Ouch! We doubled the size of our house by converting our 2 family into a single. Ouch!

• mbw1
    13 years ago

I'm one hour north of the Maine border.........we are so sick of snow here this winter.........we are very happy that we have gone 2 entire days without snowfall, I'm thinking that's a record for this year!LOL

Hubby and I are training for another marathon and all these snow storms have actually had me using the treadmill (which I loathe) to get in my miles at least once/week for the last 4 weeks.........

Enough already!!!!!!!!!!!

• oldhouse1
    13 years ago

bostonpam, I'm so sorry. Plain and simply that just sucks. I hope your damage isn't to extensive. Cold here as well in Southern Ontario, -25c tonight. Thanks lavender_lass for the beautiful pictures. Reminds me that this won't last forever and spring will be here hopefully sooner than later.

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

Happy Days Are Here Again! We got above zero today!! If you believe everything you hear in the weather forecasts, we will be swimming in melted snow by the weekend. That is NOT good news. Need those freezing days to keep us from floating down river. We'll see what actually happens. But yeah, I'm ready for spring. Another 45 days. Keep holding your breath. And maybe it will be a warm spring.

• michiganrachel
    13 years ago

Count me in! So ready for some warmer weather and no snow! At least I now have a big mud room for everyone to take off their boots!

• nini804
    13 years ago

***raises hand*** Me, me, me!!! I have been frickin miserable...we live in the Southeast so winter is usually a faily mild affair. It has been just horrendous this year, I am freezing all the time. It doesn't help that we are living in a very dark rental house while we are building that isn't well insulated and gets terrible natural light. Oh, it is awful. The only thing that is giving me hope is the fact that I am noticing the days getting a little longer, every day. Surely the end is near???

• country_smile
    13 years ago

It looks like I'm the odd one out, but I have to be honest and say I'm not ready to jump on the "I hate winter" bandwagon. There's a time for every season and I'm enjoying winter, and the seemingly endless string of days of snowcover, in much the same way as I will enjoy spring, summer, and autumn when I see the first signs of their arrival through the window pane of my kitchen door.

Soak it all in while you can. Everything in its due time. Life's too short to hurry onto the next season. Cozy winter....a time when baking provides not only goodies for the tummy and a sweet aroma to drift through the entire house, but also adds a WELCOMING warmth when you reach into the oven to pull out the freshly baked bread.

(Of course Florida is waiting with welcome arms for all those that can't bear the thought of waiting every year.)

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

bh, I can't even see my grill. It's buried and likely will be for another 2 months. The wind chill was well below zero here today, and the ambient temp is supposed to 15-20 below tonight. I'd be happy to send this ''arctic air'' back to melaska if I knew how. And I'm very tired of frozen pipes. Just shoot me.

• LeslieP
    13 years ago

I miss my garden, sitting in the swing, grilling, sounds of lawn mowers, warm sunshine, hanging laundry outside, and the hummingbirds most of all.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    13 years ago

Those of you who are sick to death of snow will appreciate the image in this thread over at the Holidays forum. :)

• xc60
    13 years ago

I'm sick of it too, but here in Alberta the construction continues through the winter as we have such long winters and short summers. Houses would never get built if we waited for good weather.

Here's to spring coming soon to everyone!

• marcolo
    13 years ago

Well, we had our 1st ice dam last Sat. Had a HUGE puddle in the new kitchen with water dripping from 4 recessed lights, down 1 cabinet and the wood range hood. On the 2nd floor water was freely flowing from the ceiling in 1000 places.

Ice dams here, too. Luckily (or not) my house has big eaves, so while the interior was spared, the soffits were ruined. Plus the snowpack guarantees I have to put in a French drain PDQ or floods will come in March. I'm also scheduling a structural engineer praying the roof is OK. Lots of big unbudgeted expenses. And pam, you are lucky in one way--you already have a contractor. It's impossible to get anybody to answer your calls.

I frequently speak to people around the country for work, and I'm getting a little frustrated with their perception that this winter is just a little "annoying" or something people are just getting "tired of." For New England, this is an ongoing natural disaster that is costing hundreds of millions of dollars and a few lives, too.

• plllog
    13 years ago

Many good thoughts going to Boston and other disaster areas.

We Californians shouldn't be gloating. The weather that's going to melt all of Pinch_Me's snow is going to drench us for a couple of weeks. We, who consider blue skies and sunshine a right, will be very blue. If we can avoid flooding and landslides, we'll be very thankful. Right now we're reveling in all the glory of sun and warmth, but our turn is coming...

• oldhouse1
    13 years ago

Thanks for putting things into perspective marcolo. Although I live in Ontario and we weren't hit as badly with the previous storms I have seen the destruction that has taken place while watching American news channels. I'm sorry for you as well and hope that your roof inspection reveals good news.

• bh401
    Original Author
    13 years ago

marcolo-I didn't mean to offend you. I realize the northeast is a major disaster. I don't meant to trivialize it. I posted this because, yes, we are tired of winter(many of us). In the south, we are more used to severe thunderstorms, straight-line winds, tornadoes(had a storm shelter built in my basement which will come in handier than the gas fireplace this spring) and sweltering heat then freezing temps, snow and ice. And yes, I want my new house finished.

nini-We are in the same boat! We are renting a "lovely" 70's ranch with a total of 7 windows on a tree shaded lot. Oh, did I mention that they are the long, narrow windows and the eye level windows. No Light! Made picking flooring,paint and such really hard. I had from 8:30 till 10:00 in the morning of good light. As I mentioned, I hope the new house is finished before tornado season since even if we get in a closet and don't take a direct hit, all the trees are not good(hey maybe those tiny windows will be better??) And don't get me started on the electric bill. Paying about the same for half the square footage.

I'm sorry to hear of those of you who have had major problems from this winter. Makes my complains rather trivial. My prayers go out to you.

I've enjoyed reading your posts...even those of you who are living it up in warmer weather. My best friend and I informed our husbands(who are also best friends) that after my kids graduate(hers already have) we (me & bff)will be wintering in FL. They may come visit whenever they want. Just 4 more years.

Thanks for your posts. And just keep thinking...
    green grass
    trees with leaves
    flowers blooming
    birds singing -hmmm... bugs buzzing(screened in porch-priceless)
    cold glass of iced tea
    steaks and burgers on the grill
    sweat on your brow, dirt under your fingernails and the proud look when someone asks"who does your landscaping" and you get to say "ME"
    And best of all, not having to put on 27 layers just to go to the mailbox!

• marcolo
    13 years ago

Why, bh401, you didn't offend me at all. Sorry I gave you that impression. I was just struck by bostonpam's description of her troubles, in contrast to a work conversation I had with someone in L.A. who was actually annoyed when I had to cut the call short to talk to the (late) basement waterproofing guy. I wanted to tell her about this great invention called "the news."

Your list is fun to read!

• cluelessincolorado
    13 years ago

Lavender lass, hope I'm not breaking any copyright laws, but that bluebell photo is now on my Mac desktop and I'm going to stare at it until the grape hyacinth poke through. It's weird, but I feel like I've been cold since November. My sister in Vermont just called to crow about the best $150 she's ever spent to have a backhoe come and move the snow mountain in front of her door 20 feet back so she'd have room to shovel off the garage roof again.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Clueless- Here's the website...just click on a picture and think spring! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Bluebells website

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

Good news, I guess. It's above zero, I think maybe 20. And now for the bad news. It's snowing.

• prill
    13 years ago

Yup, sick of winter here too... returned from a wonderful trip to the first 2 feet of snow in Jan. Never ending snow since then here in Western Mass. Same problems as BostonPam - water running down the dining rooms walls and across the ceiling. Spring can't come soon enough for me.

Here are a few pics from our trip - they make me smile, hope they make you smile too.

• bh401
    Original Author
    13 years ago

marcolo- Sorry, I thought you meant that you were tired of people whining about cold and snow when you guys in the northeast are suffering horribly from the effects.

lavender-everytime I scroll down, your pics put a smile on my face. I especially love the first one.

prill-awesome pics as well

Hopefully Monday work on the new house will continue. 40 today and supposedly 70 by Saturday(though I will believe it when I see it)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    13 years ago

prill, where did you go? Is that the Mara?

• prill
    13 years ago

Writersblock - we went o Tanzania - those are from Ngorongoro Crater (that's it in the last picture - driving out) and Tarangire National Park. We took over 3,000 pictures.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    13 years ago

Thanks, prill.

• prill
    13 years ago

writersblock - have you been to Mara?

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    13 years ago

No, planning to go soon, that's why I was asking.

• prill
    13 years ago

writersblock - you'll love it, what an amazing experience.

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Here in the Denver area our temps have been colder than usual but overall snow totals are below normal (single digits daytime and negative temps at night). The mountains are getting amazing snow totals and it seems I-70 shuts down for at least a few hours once a week due to weather conditions. We do have quite a bit of snow on the ground now, but our temps are finally up in the 40's today and lots of sunshine so snow will melt fast. They say we'll be in the high 50's, maybe even 60 by Sunday. To those in the midwest and northeast, this beautiful sunshine should be heading your way--I only hope and pray it doesn't cause flooding by melting your snowpack too fast.

Although I love living where there 4 seasons (lived in LA many years ago and it just wasn't for us), I will be happy when my crocuses pop up through the lingering snow and show their lovely purple and lavendar faces.

• cluelessincolorado
    13 years ago

Flwrs - I hear you on the snow total. Is your house much dustier? I'm off to the Hot Springs - maybe I'll finally warm up!!!

• noellabelle
    13 years ago

amazing pics Prill!

So sorry, bostonpam!

We live in southern CT , and we got just buried in January. I think we got 72" that month, and our normal totals are about 40" for the year. I'm in a condo complex, and multiple roofs have leaked due to ice dams, including my next door neighbor....thank goodness ours hasn't leaked, but we're all going to be paying to fix all the damage.

I think we're supposed to get in the 40's tomorrow, which will feel tropical!