SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_thefarm

How to prune 'Noella Nabonnand'?

melissa_thefarm
16 years ago

I've had this rose for three or four years and have never gotten the hang of pruning her, so would appreciate some advice.

NN is a climbing Tea and for me is once-blooming, though that may be due to my pruning and to minimal summer watering. Take note that, while a fall flowering would be very nice, I'm primarily interested in having a rose that's a decent-looking plant for the summer and fall. I've tried different strategies after her spring bloom. I've done nothing, resulting in twenty foot canes spreading all over the garden. I've cut out all the growth that NN flowered on and a couple of older canes: NN languished over the hot summer and then began putting out new growth in the fall. That's this year, and the new growth is awkward, mildewed, and is going to get frozen back if we ever get a winter this year. It certainly isn't leading to any flowers this fall.

So what do I do? I'll be cleaning up the rose this winter, cutting back the most awkward growth and removing the oldest canes, and I'll get the usual good flowering next year even if my pruning isn't perfect, and it probably isn't. But after next year's flowering, what should I do? My current idea is at that point to cut out the oldest canes and reduce everything else to about waist high: it seems hard on the rose but she is a wild lady. I'm not convinced this is the right thing to do, and suggestions are very welcome. I have several climbing Teas, and am similarly unsuccessful with them.

Thanks!

Melissa

Comments (5)