SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
indalyne

Freedom hedge roses - please help!

indalyne
15 years ago

Last August I ordered 12 of these (not from Springhill - can't remember from who). They were very inexpensive and showed up in 1 in pots and were only 2 inches tall. They scared me half to death because I wouldn't really call myself a gardener.

I looked at them in the basement for 2 weeks and watered them occasionally until they were all next to death (a few lost all of their leaves). I decided I had nothing to lose and put them in a "holding bed" of sorts in between my Karl Forester grass. I used Miracle Gro for roses potting soil mixed in with the ground soil, watered them daily and covered them with mulch for the winter.

Fast forward to this year and they all survived and are now 2 ft tall and planted way too close together (practically on top of each other)! I need to transplant them and don't have a clue.

I think this is a good time of year but it's been so cold here lately, I'm not sure. Also because they are so close I'm afraid there won't be much in the way of soil left around the roots when I separate them.

BTW - the Karl Forester grass loved the M.G. for roses soil and tripled their size.

Thanks.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living