SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lagomorphmom

Planning Size is Driving Me Wack-a-Doodle

lagomorphmom
13 years ago

I'm so frustrated I can hardly stand it, so I naturally thought that I would come here to my rosey safe place to vent.

I am trying to plot where this and that will go at our z8 SoCal mountain place. In fact, I have been trying to do this for the better part of this year. Every time I get almost done, I come across another (or previous) source that changes the size from 3' to ginormous or vice-versa. IN Z8 or even colder! I don't pay attention to coastal SoCal gardens, but nevertheless, what is one to do with descriptions that range from 3' to 8' to the third story balcony in similar zones???? Lately, I've been using Vintage's size drawings as a guide since they're winter lows are about the same minus the snow. Today I made the mistake of glancing at the Landscaping with Antique Roses book and I got another setback on sizing...

My right brain and my left brain neurons are gridlocked! As you may have guessed, I'm left brain dominant being a science person.

Upon reflection, I wish I could have done this year differently. Left brain as you can see above has agonized and been challenged, no, let's be real, freakin' paralyzed off and on all season trying to figure out what to put where from a color pallatte standpoint let alone size-upright to size wide-ginormous, AND, I want to do it one time. My left brain is art inadequate (sigh...).

Otoh, what my right brain would have done, and sensibly so, is to just stick the gal-from-bands everywhich-where into the ground until next year/season - maybe there's some I will have to rehome! Until then I would have had a better sense of consummate mildew sensitivity, color, scent, growth rate.... But, no, they're still in the gallon pots, looking at me, waiting to be potted...

Is there any z8 person out there with the occasional good bit of snow that could be a guidance?

Comments (15)