SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
madcitymike

Here we go again .....

madcitymike
15 years ago

I've got some beautiful roses. Most are in their third season, and are really doing well, despite the terrible spring we had. Many of them are covered in buds right now that could open any day if not destroyed first.

I had never seen a Japanese Beetle until 3 years ago. This year they're so bad I've got a few Beetle lollipops like in the photos posted by Harry. I suppose I invited them in when I planted 70 rose bushes in my back yard. I pick by hand everyday, but they're always back the next. I know many people say the traps just attract them to your yard, but none of my neighbors have any flowers in their yards, and mine is full of them. So guess where all the beetles go for lunch. So my logic was I might as well put up the traps, they're coming here anyway, and even just a few beetles still completely ruin the flowers. I figure every beetle I kill is a victory, and one less that can breed in my lawn, or my neighbors. For best effect, I put one on each corner of the lot, hoping to lure them away from the flowers. My first impression is I'm finding fewer on the flowers, and I'm definately killing more than by hand picking alone. The battle rages on.

Mike

Comments (8)