SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly_gw

Today at the SJHRG

rosefolly
9 years ago

A number of Gardenweb people were there -- in fact I think that we made up a sizable subset. Please do pipe in and add your own comments. I really enjoyed seeing all of you!

Besides the pleasant, decidedly cooler weather, I enjoyed meeting the people, seeing the roses, and making my modest purchases. I am replacing a 'Mel's Heritage' that failed in my garden. I also picked up 'Jesse Hildreth' to see how it does here in my lower foothills garden.

There was also a good talk on growing roses in drought. Based on that talk I will be moving my young 'Cl Madame Caroline Testout' away from the back fence where other the roses are somewhat drought tolerant teas and noisettes. Bad hydrozone mix on my part, but I will wait until we are solidly in the rainy season to correct the error, as the speaker also recommended that. The short take away was that modern hybrids -- HTs, floribundas, Austins, grandifloras -- need more water than do the noisettes, teas, chinas, and ramblers. This does not mean that we do not need to water these roses, just not as frequently. She touched on the European OGRs, but we decided it was difficult to separate soil types and lack of winter chill from water issues.

Rosefolly

Comments (16)