SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

Whats going on with the stems (description only)?

Hi guys! I was hoping you could tell me what was wrong with the stems of my DA rose 'Carding Mill'. The stems have a some small, random brown splotches all along it. They are brown towards the top part of the cane, but at the bottom there green splotches, almost like watermarks. I sliced into one of the brown splotches with my finger nail and under it is green stem. The sploches are hard and like a scab if you will. What is this?

Ive had this rose for about four years now and havent been having great luck with it. It has a ton of dead on it every spring and I end up having to cut it to the ground. It hasnt been a very strong grower either. I wonder if this was just a sickly rose, or maybe my zone is a little to harsh for it. I was hypothisizing that, because it may not be fully hardy here, it was more prone to deseases.

I looked at my other roses to see if they had this stem problem. My DA rose 'Windermere' (which I just got this spring) seems to have a mild case of whatever this is...It has a little brown splotching just around the joints (where the leaf meets the steam).

Do you know what this is??? Oh, PLEASE tell me its nothing serious! Terribly sorry this is such a long post and that I cant get pics for you.

CMK

Comments (6)