SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roseblush1

Plant Combination Gone Bad - Need Advice

roseblush1
12 years ago

I goofed and planted what I thought were going to be dwarf bearded irises in front of and around a healthy, beautiful shrub rose, Lynnie, thinking to incorporate some foliage contrast. The dang irises turned out to be TALL bearded irises and have certainly destroyed the look of the plant before I got creative.

In the past, the rose was a fairly tall wide shrub with foliage and blooms covering it from top all the way to the ground. Always healthy, always full of bloom and a beautiful winter sculpture once it lost its leaves.

I plan to remove the irises in a couple of weeks, but now I have to figure out how to get my rose back to the beauty it once was and there are a lot of things to consider.

I know in the iris removal process, I am going to damage the roots and think I need to prune back the plant to reduce stress on the rose while it comes back. There are few canes growing inside the shrub, most of what you see is the canopy created by a few canes. (I am posting a link to the photos on HMF because other photo sites are impossible on dial up)

I created the arching lower canes by pegging down .. not to the ground ... newer lower canes as they developed. They are dead or non-functional because they have been hidden from the light by the iris foliage all season. So I have to start over.

The plant is about 6' tall right now, and used to have an 8' spread. How far do I have to prune the plant back to start the re-shaping process ? Will this stress the plant in addition to having the root mass damaged ? Should I try to do this kind of pruning in the cold of winter ... to me 40F is too cold to be gardening ... or should I wait until late spring and prune it back just before it comes out of dormancy ?

I think I have to remove some of that canopy to encourage new cane growth lower down on the plant, but really don't trust my own judgment right now. All advice is very welcome.

Smiles,

Lyn

Comments (11)