SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ncgreens

Compost Fertilizer Gone Bad

ncgreens
15 years ago

Hello! I am getting my first large garden ready for planting and have a large compost tumbler I am using.

I intended to make very strong compost fertilizer to spread thinly over my soil and till in. To do this I used about 1/3 aged horse manure mixed with stable bedding and the rest I filled up with new supplements. I added in:

50lb Cottonseed Meal

50lb Kelp

25lbs Bat Guano

1 bags composted chicken manure

2 bags steer manure

2 bags gypsum

4 bags mixed dairy manure.

3lbs Natural Compost Activator

I bought the extra manures as filler to fill the compost tumbler high enough to do a high-temperature composting.

I didn't add any greens to the mix, I was hoping to use it more as fertilizer.

I forgot to hydrate the goods before I loaded them up into the composter so everything was mixed dry in the unit. Water was added by hose, then mixed, then added until the moisture level was attained. It is clumpy inside but I can ALMOST force a drop out but not quite.

The temperature outside has been around 60 degrees but the compost isn't going above 85 after 4 days. The smell has gotten awful, very rotten + foul with a strong smell of sulfur. I have been turning it once a day with 6-7 rotations.

What can I do to fix the problem to get ready for the new season? I was going to plant no later then mid-may.

Should I start over completely and pre-hydrate + use a proper brown:green ratio?

Should I take some out then add in some dry material to try and save it? What can I add that can be purchased?

I am hoping to having SOMETHING ready in the next 3 weeks if it all possible...

Thanks for any advice!

-NCG

Comments (21)